1st brew day, I feel a success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckylou

Reaction score
Yesterday I did my first ever 5gal brew batch! I used a 15gal SS kettle and an outdoor burner, added 6.5 gal of filtered water and began my boil.

Once it started to boil, I turned off the heat, added my liquid malt while stirring, then turned it back up to a rolling boil and pitched my 1.5oz of hops. Fast forward to 10min left in the boil, I added my wort chiller to sanitize and prepared the remainder of my .05oz of hops for when the boil is done.

Well once my 60 min timer rang, I turned off my heat, added my last hops and began to chill my wort. Only took, like, 20 mins to chill to below 85*F thanks to whirlpooling! I then removed the chiller, and prepared my fermentor. My kettle has a ball valve w a bazooka screen attached inside, so I moved my cooled kettle a top my outdoor table and set my fermenting vessel below the valve w another metal screen for extra trub catch. I took my OG reading and used gravity to aerate my wort :rockin: and ended up with a wee bit more than 5gal of aerated wort in my fermentor and a 1.044 OG read (brewing a California Pale Ale) :ban:

I then pitched my yeast atop the wort and closed the lid while adding my S shaped airlock. Everything was sanitized with my star san sollution. I then picked up my equipment and hosed it all down till clean. I kinda started brewing a bit late and ended up with night time, so I just thoroughly rinsed my equipment with water and the remainder of my 1 gal star san solution to hold it off till I clean it right today.

After, I brought my bucket fermentor indoors and set it outside of my room where it tends to be cooler. I wrapped it with a cool wet t shirt to help keep it at the right temp and fixed an empty cardboard box to fit my fermentor to help keep light and heat out. Today I woke up to the beautiful sound of my airlock bubbling! :tank: Looks like I'm on the right track.

Sorry for the long message, I just felt I should inform all of you awesome brewers who, without, none of this could have been possible. Thanks to all for the great feedback and information that will never go unappreciated. Cheers!

Nice. Welcome to the addiction ( I mean the brewing part not the drinking part).

Obsession , addiction. It'll take over your life. Don't do it!!! Just kidding. Congrats.

Yea props to you I am a newly addicted brewer planning my next brews now...... Cheers

Wow, you are well prepared, congrats!

Welcome to the addiction / hobby / obsession.

Youre now the "cool friend who makes beer."

It's a great feeling brewing your own beer! It's an even better feeling drinking it! :)

Now wait until Lou gets started with All Grain! Then we'll really have our hooks in him...

I mean....

Congrats and welcome to the freedom of brewing and drinking the best beer you can find!

Mouse :drunk:

Lol Thanks guys really appreciate the enthusiasm and love how this brewing community really makes you feel "at home"! Glad I made the choice in joining it and once i'm more comfortable with the ropes of brewing, ill take up all grain! Until then though, hello extract beer and goodbye store bought! Err..at least until I need more bottles for my homebrew that is :p

Back