1st BIAG Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
Looking to get back into Home Brewing ,been away from it way too long!

Going to keep things simple.. Want to do 1to3 BIAB SHaSH brews to start me back into things..

Few Questions.

Using this "Simple BIAB Calcutator" http://simplebiabcalculator.com/

and I am not sure what to enter in for "Boil off g/hr" AND "Fermenting Trub (Gal)"

My recipe calls for 2.5g into Ferm
6.9 lbs Grain
.85 oz Hops
45min Rest @ 150

Welcome back!

The typical default boil-off rate is 1 gal/hour. When I brew 3 gal stove top brews, I usually see about .85 or so. You can do a test boil and see what you lose and use that as a starting point.

Fermenting trub for a 1 gallon batch shouldn't be too much. I usually lose about 1/2 gallon to trub in a 6 gallon batch, so maybe go with .1 gallon and see if that works out.

This is a 1 gallon recipe? 6.9 lbs of grain is an enormous amount for a 1 gallon recipe. Even at just 60% efficiency, that's still an OG of 1.157.

The boil off rate depends on a lot of factors, like kettle geometry, ambient temperature, and humidity. For a little one gallon batch, I'd start out with an estimate of 0.5 gal/hr and adjust it from there. Measure the volume as you go, and figure out what your *actual* boil-off is after you've brewed.

Fermenting trub, again, depends on factors like the recipe (more hops equals more trub), and fermenter geometry. For a 1 gallon batch, I'd guess at, say 0.25 gallons (i.e., 1 quart) and go from there.

But seriously, let's figure out what's going on with that recipe first.

This is a 1 gallon recipe? 6.9 lbs of grain is an enormous amount for a 1 gallon recipe. Even at just 60% efficiency, that's still an OG of 1.157.

My mistake, the above recipe was 2.5g brew... ( I edited my above Recipe:)

Thanks for the help guys, going to take the advice and do a test boil on the 4g pot to see what my rate is..

Yup just do a test boil, and fermentation trub is typically just under 10% for the volume into the fermenter.

One of the many things I dislike about the simplebiab one is that it doesn't let you change absorption rates, or sparging volumes.

Also are you sure it's 2.5G into ferm, and not 2.5G batch size (typically defined as volume out of fermenter)?

Back