1st batch Temp Help/ Hops Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bpts_finest13

Reaction score
What's going on everyone.. I have brewed my 1st batch this past weekend(TRUE BREW AMBER ALE) and now i have some questions because I don't want it to get messed up???
1st of all I was beginning to remove the hops from my wart as i was putting it into the fermenter and noticed that the instructions didnt mention to remove them so I put them back into the fermenter. I have read here a lot ppl saying to follow the designers instructions because that's the way they design their recipe. I was not planing on switching it over to a secondary. Will my beer be too bitter if it stays there the full 3 weeks..???
2ndly I have my fermenter in a big bin full of water with a fish tank heater in there since my basement gets reAlly cold. I have had great activity for the first 3 days and noticed it to slow last night. I also notic3d that the top of the water was at low to mid 70s and the bottom was low 60s. So I decided to mess with my heater Nd broke it. I had to leave due to work and couldn't buy another. I left the water at high 70s so it'll hold the temp for couple hours and by the time i get home it might be around 50s. I might not have time to buy one today or even tomorrow. If it stays at low temp for a couple hours will the yeast go dormant?? Or will it stay semi active until I get hone and add more hot water??

(Ps. Sorry for any typo.. wrote this from my cell phone)

Thanx for all the help

dumping the hops in the fermenter wont hurt anything.

and if the temp get too cold the yeast can go to sleep, but you can warm it back up and give it a gentle swirl to get them going. its not ideal,but when most of us started out we didnt have temp control ether.

the temp of the water bath will go up or down alot faster than the 5 gals of fermenting beer.

Got a new water warmer and so far its been staying at a constant 68.. all I need now is patience for 2 more weeks!!

Back