1st Batch Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guyute

Reaction score
Opened my first bottle of home brew last night, the first batch I've made in about 6 years, and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Much better than what I had made in the past. I think the difference this time has a lot to do with cleanliness, sanitizing everything, and better ingredients.

I was a little impatient and opened the bottle only 1 week after bottling. Just had to try one though. It is an IPA which I had in the primary for a week, and then 2 weeks in the secondary, then 1 week in the bottle.

It is pretty clear beer, nice white thick head, lots of lacing on the glass. The flavor is a little bit muted, not too much going on, but I'm pleased that there are no off flavors.

I'm giving the rest of them another week or two in the bottle before opening more, hoping the flavors develop a bit more with time. Overall, I'm really happy with the results.

I've got a batch of stout that has been in the primary for three weeks now, going to bottle that next week. Hmmm... what to make next?

Thanks for all the information and suggestions here, it is a great resource for noob brewers like me.

nice! I am hoping for similar results soon.

Homebrewing is so much fun, and luckily my home is perfect for this. My roommates brew and are more than willing to share advise and help with the process.

Man, I drank these too soon. It's now about a month since I bottled them, and they are really getting good. Only have about six or seven bombers left :(

Man, I drank these too soon. It's now about a month since I bottled them, and they are really getting good. Only have about six or seven bombers left :(

I did the same thing with my first batch. Now I leave them alone for a minimum of 3 weeks and most of the time 4 weeks before starting to drink them. It is true that the last bottle of a batch is always the best.

If you brew Belgians it is even worse.They have to sit for months to get really good.

Congrats on your good brew.......... now brew more to get a good pipeline going, so that it is easier to let them age.

Back