1st Batch Ever -Success- Very Foamy Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneTree

Reaction score
I just opened my 1st ever batch.It was an extract Porter.I received many great compliments and honest feedback.Heck my wife even loved it and she is not dark beer person.I am very happy with the results.
I have one concern when I pour it even at a very slow tilt it developes a very large foamy head.No one seemed to care except myself.Any Ideas?
Im going to do the same brew but with liquid yeast to taste the difference.
This one had a very mild malt taste and it was very smooth.
This is one cool hobby!:ban:

Sounds great! Congrats on Brew#1, it is just one of many.

The beer may be a bit overcarbed, you can probably look in the class and see the little yeasties giving it carb. I wouldn't worry much about it just pay closer attention to the priming sugar when you add it next time.

I have over carbed and under carb every beer I've made but I have a scale to use next time.

Really, isn't it the taste that matters the most?

I should not complain bout that,lets see I guess when I pour it it tends to foam a bit too much! There that,s better. LOL

Are you bottling? If so, has it been in the bottle at least 3 weeks yet? New beer can get quite lively when you open it too soon.......Then it goes flat sooner.

It may be that the CO2 is not properly infused yet

Congrats on your first batch!! I've come to really enjoy a thick head on my beers. Here's one of my first pours ever.

firstbrewinglass.jpg

-Joe

Yes , that is how my Porter-looks maybe even larger !
It was bottled for 3 weeks plus a few days , in my secondary for about 2 weeks and about 2-3 in primary.It has sat for a long time and I notice some spent yeast in the bottle bottom after pouring or drinking?
I guess overall my first batch came out very very good. Maybe I can duplicate it with liguid yeast?:mug:

Maybe cut back the priming sugar? Some styles don't require the standard amount. Also, if you post the recipe, we can pick it apart for stuff that can aid in creating foam. Or, it might be an infection! Only problem with infection of this sort is that it can create a bottle bomb.

I'd guess too much priming sugar though.

I'm not knocking a good head, now way! :)

Just wondering why you have more than expected.

How about your thermometers? You mentioned the malt taste. Possibly you are mashing at a higher temp than your thermometer indicates. This would enhance maltiness and head.

Yes , that is how my Porter-looks maybe even larger !
It was bottled for 3 weeks plus a few days , in my secondary for about 2 weeks and about 2-3 in primary.It has sat for a long time and I notice some spent yeast in the bottle bottom after pouring or drinking?
I guess overall my first batch came out very very good. Maybe I can duplicate it with liguid yeast?:mug:
That all sounds very normal to me. My first brew has a ton of sediment in the bottom. I just finished the last bottle 10 months after bottling it, and it was just as good (if not better!) than the first bottles. Be sure to hide a couple of bottles so you can taste them months down the road. It's fun going back to your old brews :)

-Joe

That all sounds very normal to me. My first brew has a ton of sediment in the bottom. I just finished the last bottle 10 months after bottling it, and it was just as good (if not better!) than the first bottles. Be sure to hide a couple of bottles so you can taste them months down the road. It's fun going back to your old brews :)

-Joe

I agree :ban: Since December we've stored a 12 pack of each batch (14 batches) in the basement for our summer bbq and for the occasional "hmmmm I wonder what this one tastes like now". We're gathering quite the collection!

I agree :ban: Since December we've stored a 12 pack of each batch (14 batches) in the basement for our summer bbq and for the occasional "hmmmm I wonder what this one tastes like now". We're gathering quite the collection!

+1 I started doing that as well, well just recently. That is a lot of Beer. I want to come to your party...lol

Latest posts

Back