1st and 2nd brews take like apples (sort of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read through all of the replies, so I apologize if I'm repeating what someone else has said. My first 3 brews all came out bad, and the common denominator was the tap water I was using. (We have chlorine and chloromine in our water here) I bought the gallon jugs of water at walmart (78 cents per gallon) and used that for my next brew and PRESTO, those same off flavors were gone.

...I apologize if I'm repeating what someone else has said. My first 3 brews all came out bad, and the common denominator was the tap water I was using.

I mentioned it early on but it's worth repeating. If you're experiencing off flavors with extract brewing using tap water, use store bought water.

My point is not with the treatment but it being a contamination source. Old pipes, a dirty faucet aerator and so on are areas I fear that may be the culprit. The way my house is plumbed it's got points that have been terminated over the years which means it holds stagnant water. I fear this as another source.

Unless it's getting boiled I play it safe and use store bought.

Latest posts

Back