1st All Grain Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTech117

Reaction score
So I have brewed many kit beers from 2.5 gallon mr beer to 5 gallon from ciders to wines etc. But now I want to take a step back and brew a 1 Gallon batch of all grain. I have done some basic research and this is why i decided to jump down to a 1 gallon batch rather than try out a 5 gallon batch. Do you guys have a recipe you would recommend for a starter on all grain? I like Hop flavored beers like the Sam Adams Rebel IPA and was hoping to make something like that.

First off i will need all kinds of information and explanation if you can bear with me... I have done a ton of kits so its usually Mix A with B and place in C ... you get the point. If you have a step by step link of how to make the beer and where to get the supplies would be great. I mostly use NorthernBrewer.com Due to their superb customer service.

Second I will be using a empty Carlo Rossi Wine bottle with a #6 bung and "
S" Style air lock (Filled with vodka) other than that i do have the basic tools like Hydrometer etc. but this will be my first time trying a 1 gallon batch.

This is worth a look:

www.brooklynbrewshop.com

Poke around, take a look at the kits, mixes and videos - quite a lot of good information there, and their books are very much worth picking up. When you're done playing with the pre-made mixes, you can check out over a hundred recipes that they provide (all interesting), or start working on creating your own recipes based on concepts you picked up while learning.

Best thing is that these kits grow with you - they are very much NOT a one-shot thing. I've learned more in the last week than I ever thought I would.

My first home brew was a Brooklynbrewshop one gallon kit (all grain). I enjoyed it so much, I just skipped doing extracts and went straight into all grain. I'm now doing 5 gallon batches.

Here's a selection of stoppers from EcKrause:

http://www.eckraus.com/beer-caps-stoppers

One thing to keep in mind is that BBs has their instructions posted online, where you can download/print them - here's the one for your Everyday IPA:

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directions/Brooklyn Brew Shop - Everyday IPA Instructions.pdf

There's some other cool stuff available to you (such as recipes, labels etc), if you take a look at the "detail" and "from the mash" tabs on the product description page....

Good luck, and please do let us know how it goes!

I got to thinking, and it's your choice, but you might consider simply getting the kit with the included fermenter and other accessories (which will come in handy for any 1-gallon brewing in the future). A couple of reasons for this:

a) The Carlo Rossi bottle might (I'm not sure) not have enough clearance space at the top of fermentation, krausen etc.

b) Considering shipping on the one mix, you might be better off buying the IPA kit and then adding another mix, because shipping for orders 45$ and above is free. In essence, if you spend 45$, it's like getting a free mix.

Here's the first one that my wife bought for me, and it really looks good:

[ame]http://vimeo.com/36299962[/ame]

I was waiting on a replacement yeast package, so it wasn't the first one I brewed, but I can't wait to try it as soon as my current (and first) batch (a chocolate maple porter) is done.

Here's a selection of stoppers from EcKrause:

http://www.eckraus.com/beer-caps-stoppers

One thing to keep in mind is that BBs has their instructions posted online, where you can download/print them - here's the one for your Everyday IPA:

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directions/Brooklyn Brew Shop - Everyday IPA Instructions.pdf

There's some other cool stuff available to you (such as recipes, labels etc), if you take a look at the "detail" and "from the mash" tabs on the product description page....

Good luck, and please do let us know how it goes!

The 2nd link shows that it comes with a 1 gallon jug and cap etc.... i assume this is not the same as the 15 dollar kit? Or is this a recipe with a kit? I assume i found just the recipe - Although I do need a stopper for my carboy and hate to spend 7.99 freight on a .60cent stopper lol.

Hi, BrewTech -

The 15$ selections are the ingredient mixes only (with grain, hops and yeast).

The kits (which come with everything you need to brew beer) are 40$. See my post above regarding why it might be a good idea to consider getting the kit.

I got to thinking, and it's your choice, but you might consider simply getting the kit with the included fermenter and other accessories (which will come in handy for any 1-gallon brewing in the future). A couple of reasons for this:

a) The Carlo Rossi bottle might (I'm not sure) not have enough clearance space at the top of fermentation, krausen etc.

b) Considering shipping on the one mix, you might be better off buying the IPA kit and then adding another mix, because shipping for orders 45$ and above is free. In essence, if you spend 45$, it's like getting a free mix.

Here's the first one that my wife bought for me, and it really looks good:

http://vimeo.com/36299962

I was waiting on a replacement yeast package, so it wasn't teeh first one I brewed, but I can't wait to try it as soon as my current (and first) batch (a chocolate maple porter) is done.

I think you are right I might as well do it right if i am gona do it at all ... BTW now my mouth is watering and my bank account is gona take a good hit tonight lol. Thanks for the share - Probably going to order the 1 gallon KIT with the both of these beers (after looking at the videos ..... im tempted to say to heck with the 1 gallon i want 5 gallon lol)

Be sure to keep is informed! :mug:

One great thing about these forums is that they can be used to bounce ideas around and learn, but can also be used to chronicle your journey. It's like having an interactive journal of your entire process.

im tempted to say to heck with the 1 gallon i want 5 gallon

One good thing about the books that are on BBS's website is that the hundred or so recipes in them are listed with amounts for both 1 gallon and 5 gallon batches. I picked both books up on Amazon, and have learned an incredible amount about beer varieties, brewing and history in general just from reading them.

I will add the books as well, I enjoy reading as i learn more reading than i do watching videos - guess im kinda old school. That should qualify me for the free shipping with the 1 kit that comes with carboy 1 extra recipe and the 2 books.

Thanks everyone ill keep you posted if I do order tonight.

I think I did just about everything wrong with that Brooklyn Brewery kit and the beer was still pretty damned good beer. I followed the steps and had no idea why I was doing what I was doing. Now looking back, I'm amazed the beer was so good.

Hey guys i forgot to ask with this kit beer do you need a Mash tun etc to do it - All I have for supplies at this point is a few 5 gallon carboys, Bottle buckets and a 10 gallon brew pot ... thats about all i have ever had to use with the kit beers with LME or DME. So im wondering if i will need a Tun.

What you will want is stuff that is probably already in your kitchen. I'd say this is what you would need as a minimum:

a) at least two 8-quart stock pots (three pots would be better; 6-, 10- or 12- quart will of course also work)

b) a fairly large, fine-mesh strainer (I had an 8-inch strainer and it worked but was a little small, so I recommend a 10-inch)

c) a funnel with a screen/strainer

All of these things should be easily found at Pick-Your-Mart, if you don't already have them. Wal-Mart has 8- and 12-quart stainless-steel stock pots at a really nice price that seem to work pretty well. I used two, but three would definitely work better and be more efficient.

Other than that, you should only need the usual stuff that you probably already have from previous brewing... measuring cups/spoons, long-handled spoon, timer, ice or ice packs, spray bottle for sanitiser, bottles, caps, capper etc. One other thing that I got was a mini-siphon, because the gravity-method with the rack and cane or whatever looked like a real PITA.

Also, pick up some Star San, if you can. The supplied sanitizer has to be rinsed. I used it and it is fine, but Star San is much easier.

Also, pick up some Star San, if you can. The supplied sanitizer has to be rinsed. I used it and it is fine, but Star San is much easier.

Sparge - BBS must have switched to a different sanitiser recently, because the stuff that came in my kit was definitely no-rinse.

But having said that, The StarSan that I ordered should be arriving any day; it is definitely a more economical choice, since the BBS packets are 2$ each (each packet makes 2 gallons of sanitiser).....

I wonder if a little larger batch might be *easier* than 1 gallon if you have a large enough kettle, etc. Say, 2 gallons, or maybe 3? It will be easier to maintain the mash at steady temperatures.

One more suggestion. Rather than a strainer, you can use a paint strainer bag from Home Depot. Put it in the pot for the mash, pull the bag and let it drain, lower it into the sparge water and stir again. Let it sit 5 min, then pick it up to drain into the pot. Combine two pots.

Works like a charm and the strainer bags are cheap. Like 2 for $3 I think. Less splashing and dripping.

Sparge I do have Star Clean and Star San - I do have just about all of the items listed as well as a fermentation fridge with a STC1000 controller and heat element so keeping temps isnt that hard for me (a bit costly on the electric bill) but the fridge helps with that to cool and shut off when it gets too cold turns on the heater and vice versa. I looked through my stuff last night and the only thing i am missing is a strainer I must have mis placed mine.

I also got busy last night and didnt have time to order (our heater went out in the house so hopefully its something simple and not gona cost money)

PS i do have paint strainers i used them a few times in my kit beers I got a box of them at a garrage sale here in town for a killer price, 1.50 $ got me about 40 of them lol.

So I have brewed many kit beers from 2.5 gallon mr beer to 5 gallon from ciders to wines etc. But now I want to take a step back and brew a 1 Gallon batch of all grain. I have done some basic research and this is why i decided to jump down to a 1 gallon batch rather than try out a 5 gallon batch. Do you guys have a recipe you would recommend for a starter on all grain? I like Hop flavored beers like the Sam Adams Rebel IPA and was hoping to make something like that.

First off i will need all kinds of information and explanation if you can bear with me... I have done a ton of kits so its usually Mix A with B and place in C ... you get the point. If you have a step by step link of how to make the beer and where to get the supplies would be great. I mostly use NorthernBrewer.com Due to their superb customer service.

Second I will be using a empty Carlo Rossi Wine bottle with a #6 bung and "
S" Style air lock (Filled with vodka) other than that i do have the basic tools like Hydrometer etc. but this will be my first time trying a 1 gallon batch.

I just brewed this....

12lb. Breiss 2-Row
1lb. Crystal 60L
60min. Centennial
40min. Citra
20min. Citra
0min. Citra

It's fermenting right now and smells amazing.

I just brewed this....

12lb. Breiss 2-Row
1lb. Crystal 60L
60min. Centennial
40min. Citra
20min. Citra
0min. Citra

It's fermenting right now and smells amazing.

New to this so still not sure how to brew it - I assume i could google those ingredients and buy them but dont know how to add them yet - still working on how this 60 40 20 minute thing goes.

New to this so still not sure how to brew it - I assume i could google those ingredients and buy them but dont know how to add them yet - still working on how this 60 40 20 minute thing goes.

Did you buy the kit? It should come with directions.

Did you buy the kit? It should come with directions.

No i didnt get a chance to buy it yet - kinda broke we just moved into a new house and the heat system is not working , hopefully its just a thermostat or something in expensive. After blowing over 10K on down payments etc im kinda tapped out for my brewing funds this next few months.

Gona check out the heat system tonight as its getting cold here in Nevada (imagine that) tonight and see whats going on, Maybe if i get it fixed the SWMBO will allow me to spend 100 bucks or so and get some stuff coming.

Sorry - I ll keep yall updated -

PS that post about not understanding the 60 40 20 0 minute thing was for the person who recommended a recipe - as i have not done an all grain brewing kit yet i don't know how to do so - im sure after going over the directions and doing it a few times ill understand the recipes that people are linking on this site.

Instructions are very easy. It helps to watch the video too, in order to get a good over-view and to see just how easy it is:

[ame]http://vimeo.com/11354805[/ame]

Nice Thank you - Did not see this post - So the video didnt quite explain what i was getting at does this 60 40 20 min thing just mean to add that part of the recipe at those times counting down? IE Add X at 60 minutes.... wait until 40 add Y ..... Wait till 20 add Z ?

PS can you get the same beer in a 5 gallon kit from these guys ? Beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just jump into the deep end and go 5 gallon considering I have most of the supplies for that and would eliminate some money buying the 1 gallon kits .... I have 5 gallon carboys, air locks and bungs... a cane siphon etc. May be better to just spend them money on 5 gallon batch

Hi, BT -

To answer your questions (as far as I know):

a) Yes, The instructions will tell you when to add ingredients (usually but not always hops) counting down during the boil.

b) They do not make 5-gallon mixes or kits, but their two books (BEER MAKING BOOK and MAKE SOME BEER) have all of their recipes written for 1- and 5-gallon amounts. If you want to go 5-gallon (which I plan to do after fiding a few favourites), I'd suggest grabbing the books, available on Amazon.

Latest posts

Back