1st All Grain IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross3648

Reaction score
This is my first All Grain IPA, What do you think?

11 lb pale malt
1 lb Crystal 40L
8 oz Cara Pils
2 oz Cascade 6.3 % Alpha 75 min boil
1 oz Cascade 6.3 % Alpha 20 min boil
1 oz Willamett Dry hop 7 days
Burton Ale WLP023

Mash at 154 for 60 min batch sparge, got 1.060 SG Primary for 14 days at 68 degrees, secondary dry hopping at 58 degrees. 1.014 FG
bottles aging.

This is probably just my taste preference coming out but I like more late hop additions. I would do 1.5 oz Cascade at 60 min, 1.5 oz Cascade at 5 min and dry hop with your 1 oz of Willamett.

Looks tasty! One thing I would change is your bittering hop addition at 60 minutes. I would change that to a First Wort Hop addition as it adds more aroma and flavor which is fantastic in an IPA. Ditto on the previous post about some late hop additions; 1oz of something with 5 minutes left in the boil. Other than that, looks like it will be a great beer. :mug:

Thanx for the advise. I was shooting for a 60 min boil, but the pizza guy came in the middle of brewing. When I went back to the brew pot, the burner was out I just added the time I was away from the pot to the overall boil time. Let me see how it taste Then next time I'll try the extra hop addition if needed.

Back