1st AG complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niker0101

Reaction score
Completed first AG on Tuesday, started at 4:30pm and finished with cleanup by 11:30pm. The recipe appeared like this:

17 lbs pale ale
1.5 lbs crystal
3 oz amarillo
3 oz cluster
wyeast 1056 (propagated)
14 total gal of H2O

The mash had 17 lbs pale and the crystal was steeped for specialty grain. Took OG and it came in just under 1.040 at 78* which from what BeerSmith showed was a hair low for pale ale standards, but hey, first-timer here. The process went great, cant wait to do it again...soon. There are a few pics of the process in my signature.

Nice pics. What was your boil volume and what is your finished volume? What was your hop interval?

For 75% effiecency, based on the gallons below, here's what your gravity should have been.

Boil Gravity: 1.043 (Calculated for 12 gallons)
Orig Gravity: 1.051 (Calculated for 10 gallons) after boil.

I hope that while plastic fermenter is food grade.

The fermenter did say that it was "NSF std 2 food contact," so I am hoping that it's Ok??

The boil volume was just a shade under 12 gal, and as a 1st timer I forgot to mark the fermenter for graduations showing volume. I will mark that before my next batch. The boil was an hour total and the hop schedule was:

1.5 oz cluster - 60 mins
1.5 oz cluster - 30 mins
1.5 oz amarillo - 15 mins
1.5 oz amarillo - 10 mins

Back