1st AG Batch. STRONG nutty flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikeguns

Reaction score
Just kegged my first AG batch. Everything went well but I broke my own rule of only changing one thing at a time. In addition to going all grain, I also experimented with reusing yeast that I washed and made a starter out of.

I tasted it and it seems to have a really strong sort of aftertaste that is almost nutty. I've read that the Aciduated malt can give a nutty flavor, but I didn't think the little I used (.4 lbs) could produce such a strong dominant flavor, especially in an IPA.

It has been a little over 3 weeks since brew day. Everything seemed to go pretty well although my mash temp was a the low end (146). The beer also had a far lower FG than any beer i've done. Usually they end up around 1.017 but this was about 1.011.

Any thoughts on this?

the recipe:

14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 94.6 %
6.4 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 2.7 %
6.4 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.7 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 50.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 15.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 10.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.1 IBUs
recycled American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

i actually usually only brew with extract and steep the honey malt so I'm pretty familiar with the taste. The honey malt is a sweet flavor which i really like, but the aciduated malt was a new one for me.

UPDATE: so one day in the keg and already the nutty flavor has mellowed considerably.. I had a feeling it would over time but i didn't imagine it happening so quickly

Back