1st AG attempt "Holiday IPA" Advise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcgeehan151

Reaction score
Hey all,

i'm ready equipment wise and i hope skill wise to try my hand at my first all grain attempt. I was thinking of making a "Holiday IPA" with a pretty simple grain bill to try. Something like:

12 lbs. American 2-row
.75 lbs. American Caramel 80°L
.25 lbs. Dextrine Malt

Then a hop schedule with maybe chinook, centennial and Citra.

I'm gonna download brewsmith to plug everything in.

I was also pondering of maybe holiday "extras" : lemon and orange zest, maybe crystallized or candied ginger and a cinnamon stick.

1st does this sound like a "good idea" as a first AG attempt? And would the "extras" go in at flameout or better somewhere else like seeped and the sterilized seeping liquid put in the bottle bucket or keg?

Thanks!

cmcgeehan151 said:
Hey all,

i'm ready equipment wise and i hope skill wise to try my hand at my first all grain attempt. I was thinking of making a "Holiday IPA" with a pretty simple grain bill to try. Something like:

12 lbs. American 2-row
.75 lbs. American Caramel 80°L
.25 lbs. Dextrine Malt

Then a hop schedule with maybe chinook, centennial and Citra.

I'm gonna download brewsmith to plug everything in.

I was also pondering of maybe holiday "extras" : lemon and orange zest, maybe crystallized or candied ginger and a cinnamon stick.

1st does this sound like a "good idea" as a first AG attempt? And would the "extras" go in at flameout or better somewhere else like seeped and the sterilized seeping liquid put in the bottle bucket or keg?

Thanks!

IMO the cinnamon stick and zest go in secondary to taste, other spices last 10 minutes. I like fresh grated ginger personally, I use 2oz in my holiday ale.
I would also only select orange or lemon, not both.

Back