1L glass bottles from Target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Brew

Reaction score
My SWMBO came home from Target this weekend with half a dozen bottles of their house-brand "Archer Farms" carbonated water. I'm sharing this with the forum because it was packaged in nice, heavy, pressure-rated 1L glass bottles. Bottles that looked all too tempting to me for my new obsess... er hobby.

The potentially fatal issue I can see is that they use thin stamped metal (aluminum?) screw-tops, so re-sealing them might be an issue. They're also clear, but light can be blocked pretty easily, so I'm not too worried about that.

Has anyone else tried these bottles for homebrew? If so, how suitable did you find them?

The ones I always snag from Target when I go is the flip-top sparkling lemonade ones. I can't wait to put kiwi mead into one of those.

I don't believe I've seen the ones you mentioned.

New Brew said:
My SWMBO came home from Target this weekend with half a dozen bottles of their house-brand "Archer Farms" carbonated water. I'm sharing this with the forum because it was packaged in nice, heavy, pressure-rated 1L glass bottles. Bottles that looked all to tempting to me for my new obsess... er hobby.

The potentially fatal issue I can see is that they use thin stamped metal (aluminum?) screw-tops, so re-sealing them might be an issue. They're also clear, but light can be blocked pretty easily, so I'm not too worried about that.

Has anyone else tried these bottles for homebrew? If so, how suitable did you find them?

I have no idea how you'll get them to re-seal... :(

What Target does sell, at least at my local store, is a carbonated lemonade in a big, swing-top bottle. Clear glass, so I use them for my apfelwein (no issues with skunking when you don't have any hops ;)). Pretty tasty lemonade, too.

EDIT: Apparently, they're sold in Virginia, too... ;)

Dude said:
The ones I always snag from Target when I go is the flip-top sparkling lemonade ones. I can't wait to put kiwi mead into one of those.

I hope you don't drink that crap... got some sparkling limeade and it tasted like total ass...

Those caps will probably work just fine. I've been using Jones Soda bottles with aluminum screw tops (the same caps that are used on 40 ounce beers), with absolutely no problems. Don't worry.....

Jim Karr said:
Those caps will probably work just fine. I've been using Jones Soda bottles with aluminum screw tops (the same caps that are used on 40 ounce beers), with absolutely no problems. Don't worry.....

Isn't Jones the soda with crazy flavors like turkey and dressing, and brussel sprouts?

New Brew said:
My SWMBO came home from Target this weekend with half a dozen bottles of their house-brand "Archer Farms" carbonated water. I'm sharing this with the forum because it was packaged in nice, heavy, pressure-rated 1L glass bottles.

Cool. I was looking for a 1 liter size bottle. I hope my Carbonator caps fit. I use these to pass out beer to the neighbors from the keg. 1 Liter makes a nice gift and I always get my bottle back with the Carbonator Cap. Thanks for the tip!

psymn said:
Isn't Jones the soda with crazy flavors like turkey and dressing, and brussel sprouts?

No those are just novelty soda's they put out for Christmas and Thanksgiving, digusting... Real Jones soda is REAAAALLY good... the best soda i've had, it's real soda, not all the added crap that Coke and Pepsi have...

Dude said:

I looked at those bottles the other day while following SWMBO around Target. I looked at her and said "These would be perfect for bottling my brew." She just rolled her eyes. I think I'll go pick a few of these up tomorrow. I can always bottle them, then put 'em in a box to guard against light. Put a couple in the fridge at a time, and they'll last no more than a night or two.

Back