1921 Indestro capper restore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenRuss

Reaction score
Not sure this fits here but I am restoring a 1921 Indestro bench capper. I bought it off the son of the original owner and got the cappers history as well. It has had a lot of love and use, so I decided to take it right down to the metal and refinish. Here it is before paint!

image-293706838.jpg

image-1469020754.jpg

Ok, I used this today for the first time and it caps like crazy, I just don't know if I go too far because every bottle had to jiggled and worked loose. Is there a way to avoid this, or do I have to jam it all the way on the bottle to get a good seal and live with trying to work the bottle out eleven I am done?

Did you paint the underside of the bell? You may also try some silicone lubricant (keg lube) on the underside of the bell, that's what the instructions on my agata capper recommended. I have this problem on my capper from time to time, but it's usually on screw top soda bottles. (Yes, I still use them on occasion and they work just fine.)

Thanks. I think some lube would solve the problem. I'll try it on my next batch.

I actually have had one similar to this for several years. I got it from my aunt, but it had belonged to my grandmother. They used it to cap tomato juice when they canned and she told me they used to make and bottle beer. I glued a piece of soft rubber in the bell of mine, it makes a nice indent in the cap and also does not let it bury all the way into the bottom of the bell. Good luck with it.

I just picked up the attached from a garage sale in Louisiana. Mine does not have the Patent # stamped on it like yours. I plan to leave it as is, but maybe with a wood base for displaying.

IMG_7842.JPG

I have an older bench capper and it caps great. Usually if I cap tight I have to pry a little, but not much. I like the rubber piece idea. Might be just the ticket to get a good seal without locking the cap in place.

You might check into polishing the inside of the bell too. That may help.

Back