19.2 Ounce Cans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One of my favorite go to's is Founders' All Day IPA. The beer store near me has three 19.2 cans (aka the "Stovepipe") for $6 , so I load up and get 12 from time to time. Most of the other 3 for $6 beers are pint cans, so I feel I'm gaining with the Founders.

Maybe it's just me (when I'm buzzing), but I love it when my glass is about out, I reach for the 'empty' can to go get another one, then the "there's still more beer in there!" light goes off to which I empty the rest into my glass....grins galore.

Simple minds, simple pleasures? Probably, but just wanted to share that. Cheers.

I freaking love Founder’s All Day. I love any session IPA, and there’s is near perfect. I’ve not seen it in stove pipes before, but have purchased the 15 packs at unbelievably reasonable prices many times. It’s so nice to just keep “reloading” your glass instead of actually running out.

Maybe it's just me (when I'm buzzing), but I love it when my glass is about out, I reach for the 'empty' can to go get another one, then the "there's still more beer in there!" light goes off to which I empty the rest into my glass....grins galore.

It's funny you mention that because I use 8 oz glassware just so that I can experience that same feeling multiple times per can.

My beer store had the founders centennial IPA 19.2oz in a 4pack for $5. I regretted only buying 1. That was the first time I saw founders in a 19.2oz can.

My beer store had the founders centennial IPA 19.2oz in a 4pack for $5. I regretted only buying 1. That was the first time I saw founders in a 19.2oz can.

Bought many of those in the stovepipe size myself. I like the Centennial IPA. Seems Founders is the only beer found in that size for 3/$5 ($6 now :( ) at my store.

Does anyone by chance know the origin of the 19.2oz can format? I'm curious where/how this specific size choice came about as its clearly not a whole number in either ounces or mL (~567.81). Perhaps from another beverage industry?

Does anyone by chance know the origin of the 19.2oz can format? I'm curious where/how this specific size choice came about as its clearly not a whole number in either ounces or mL (~567.81). Perhaps from another beverage industry?
19.2 oz is an Imperial pint, 20% more than a US pint.

edit- the reason for some breweries choosing that size is that the can is the same diameter as 12 and 16 oz cans. The 24 oz cans that BMC beers are sometimes packaged in are larger in diameter and won’t fit on canning lines designed for the smaller diameter cans.

Back