1823 Whitbread Keeping Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porter1974

Reaction score
I bought a Birthday recipe from Ronald Pattinson. It's actually pretty cool. You give him your Birthday and beer preference and he finds a brewing record from that day in the past. He sends you a recipe, a neat write up about the beer and a picture of the brewer's log book.

I got a recipe for a keeping porter that I want to try.

Here is the grain bill:

Pale Malt 8.75 lbs 63.64%
Brown Malt 1.5 lbs 10.91%
Black Malt 1 lbs 7.72%
White Malt 2.5 lbs 18.18%

I suppose I will got with maris otter for the bulk of the base malt.

I am not sure what to do about the White Malt though. He said to go with the palest pale malt i can find. Would just a regular 2 row at 1.8 L make sense?

Attachments

• Birthday_homebrew_1823_Whitbread_Keeping_Porter.jpg
    Birthday_homebrew_1823_Whitbread_Keeping_Porter.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 85
I can't really help, but my hat is off to Ron for being able to decipher that old handwriting.

I'll probably order a birthday recipe myself one of these days. I love his blog.

I bought a Birthday recipe from Ronald Pattinson. It's actually pretty cool. You give him your Birthday and beer preference and he finds a brewing record from that day in the past. He sends you a recipe, a neat write up about the beer and a picture of the brewer's log book.

Here is the grain bill:

Black Malt 1 lbs 7.72%

I am not sure what to do about the White Malt though. He said to go with the palest pale malt i can find. Would just a regular 2 row at 1.8 L make sense?

Man that’s a really cool idea. Did you ask by mail?, how much is the recipe?.

Here is the grain bill:

Black Malt 1 lbs 7.72%

You could use a pilsner malt at 1.2L.

I can't really help, but my hat is off to Ron for being able to decipher that old handwriting.

I'll probably order a birthday recipe myself one of these days. I love his blog.

Ron has been collecting, photographing and translating old brew logs for decades now. He's gotten pretty good at it but admits he still finds some entries and notations he is not able to decipher.

His blog is: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/ and although he has self published dozens of books probably the best for homebrewers (at least to start with) is the one called The Home Brewer's Guide to Vintage Beer. Lots of good history in it and recipes in a variety of styles.

Chevallier would be closer than Otter to what they were using at the time. If you do use Otter, I might add a sniff of crystal (say 2%) to help approximate Chevallier. (any supplier who deals with Crisp should be able to get Chevallier, albeit at a price)

I suspect Extra Pale, either UK generic 2-row or Otter, would probably be the closest in spirit. Again, white is a very light kilning of a starting grain that is more characterful than any of the modern varieties in common use.

And then there's the yeast.....

Back