16g co2 Cartridge for Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbeh

Reaction score
I still use secondaries, especially for my Lagers and I’m starting to think I need to be better when transferring.

I was wondering, if I took my whip cream maker, put a co2 cartridge in it (16g) and ran it into the glass carboy, would that be enough co2 to push out all the O2?

Thanks,
Robb

If you mean to put c02 into the carboy before transferring, I would think that should work. It likely wont displace all the O2 but would get a blanket of CO2 at the bottom of the carboy and since C02 is heavier than air it should remain on the beer and push the O2 out as it rises.

Full disclosure though I have never done this and have never had a problem. My beer says cold from the time it comes out of the fermentation chamber until it's served. I cold crash the 35 degrees for over a week and then straight into the kegs from there with no additional C02 and have never had an oxidized beer.

I also don't bother with secondary anymore and just consider the serving a keg a secondary that I can draw sample from :)

Thanks,

David

Back