15lb tank PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere around 850 psi at room temperature, but the pressure isn't very meaningful. The only real meaningful check on a tank refill is to weigh the cylinder empty (tare), and weigh following refill. If your tank has the tare weight printed or stamped on it, weigh your tank and take the difference between tare and current. That will tell you how many lbs you actually got refilled.

A freshly filled CO2 cylinder can be finger-burning cold depending on the fill process, and that will drop the gas pressure significantly...
co2pv.gif

Cheers!

Thanks

my last tank showed 800 pounds before I leaked it out. The new one only shows 500. I don't see a weight on the tank. I haven't used it much so I'll put it on a scale now and then way it again when it's empty.

So unless there is a weight for an empty tank on the tank you have no idea if they actually put 15 pounds into the tank correct?

This is the first time I'm doing a swap on the tanks and they seem to be different sizes so I'm assuming all different weights. I'll get one with the weight on it and then put my name all over it and wait for it to be filled from now on.

There's almost certainly a Tare Weight stamp on that tank somewhere, I have quite a few gas cylinders here and they all have Tare Weights - some in more obscure locations than others, some nearly filled in with paint - but they're there.

But, yes, without knowing the empty weight there's no practical way to know with much precision how much CO2 is in there...

Cheers!

Thx again.

I do see some other letters/numbers but can;t make them out per the they've been painted over. I'll scrape off some paint and see what I have.

Back