American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to try a variation on this that doesn't have any steeping.

6.6# Briess Rye LME (20% rye, 10% crystal 20)
2# Briess Munich LME (50% Munich)

2 ounce centennial at 15
1 ounce Citra at 5
0.5 ounce Citra at 0
1 oz Citra dry hop

I couldn't find anyone that did a Rye version. I think this might give a nice balance of rye, a small amount of crystal, and the malty Munich. The final will be 11% Munich, 15% rye, 7.5% c-20.

I'll report back.

Love rye and Munich in my ipa/apa. How did this turn out, Doc?

Made this yesterday night - so easy! And yeast is going crazy- look forward to trying this one...

I had a bunch of DME, a yeast packet, and some hops lying around so I threw this modification together. Only had to buy 1oz of hops. Also, I was doing a bunch of other house projects, so it (unintentionally) turned into a 30 min instead of a 15 min:

Grain/Extracts:
5lbs Light dry extract
1 lbs Amber dry extract
1 lbs Pilsner dry extract
.5 lbs Wheat dry extract
1lbs Crystal 60

Hops:
30min 1oz Galena
20 min 1oz Amarillo
15 Min 1oz US Golding
10 Min 1oz Amarillo
0 min 1oz Citra

Yeast:
Safbrew S-33

OG: 1.062
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 30min

Thanks for the inspiration! I'll let you know how it turns out.
I'll also try your recipe in the future since I grow my own Cascade hops. Just need to wait until harvest.

^^ Looks good to me. I did a version with leftover Amarillo, cascade and citra I had in the freezer and it turned out awesome!

Used up some stuff I had lying around. Steeped some 25, 40 and Vienna. Added some wheat dme. Mixed up the hop schedule with simeco and cascade. Bubbling away nicely since Sun I'll post the recipe if it tastes as good as it smells! Fingers crossed

I'm going to give this a try with a 2 gallon batch. Here are my numbers scaled down:

2.1 lbs light DME
5.8 oz crystal 60

0.9 oz cascade @ 15
0.3 oz cascade @ 5
0.15 oz cascade at flameout

I'm considering skipping the dry hop since I've never done it before, sounds like a huge mess during racking. Does this look like it will work, or will this still be a pale ale w/o the dry hop?

I'm going to give this a try with a 2 gallon batch. Here are my numbers scaled down:

2.1 lbs light DME
5.8 oz crystal 60

0.9 oz cascade @ 15
0.3 oz cascade @ 5

I'm considering skipping the dry hop since I've never done it before, sounds like a huge mess during racking. Does this look like it will work, or will this still be a pale ale w/o the dry hop?

It isn't that messy, if the hops are left to sit long enough and they're not whole/leaf hops. Leaf/whole hops clogged up my racking cane pretty bad when I used them.

Will it still be a pale ale w/o dry hopping? Sure it will. However, remember that taste is strongly associated with smell, and dry hopping provides a huge boost to the scent of your beer. Thus, it will add a big hop character to your beer if you do it.

Dry hopping is really easy.

Just add the hops to the primary after fermentation is done - crack it open and drop the hops in. That's it. For whole/leaf hops, you could put them in a sterilized bag if you want to, to keep racking neater. For pellets, the beer will soak into the pellets and dissolve them, and the hops will settle at the bottom of the fermenter just like trub.

I say add the dry hops - it really increases the character of your beer. If you skip 'em though, it'll still be a pale ale :)

It isn't that messy, if the hops are left to sit long enough and they're not whole/leaf hops. Leaf/whole hops clogged up my racking cane pretty bad when I used them.

Will it still be a pale ale w/o dry hopping? Sure it will. However, remember that taste is strongly associated with smell, and dry hopping provides a huge boost to the scent of your beer. Thus, it will add a big hop character to your beer if you do it.

Dry hopping is really easy.

Just add the hops to the primary after fermentation is done - crack it open and drop the hops in. That's it. For whole/leaf hops, you could put them in a sterilized bag if you want to, to keep racking neater. For pellets, the beer will soak into the pellets and dissolve them, and the hops will settle at the bottom of the fermenter just like trub.

I say add the dry hops - it really increases the character of your beer. If you skip 'em though, it'll still be a pale ale :)

Ok, you've talked me into it!

I'm hoping to make this in the next couple weeks, I just can't decide between cascade or citra hops...

Try a mix of hops if you can't decide! Bottle one before you dry hop and then you can compare and see if dry hopping is worth the effort. It is though 😁

Brought my all citra hop version of this pale ale to my homebrew club meeting last night and it was received very favorably! Was a little nervous because I'm a new brewer and no one outside of family and friends have tried my beer. I will be brewing this again soon!

Going with cascade for this batch, maybe I'll branch out into something different next time.

I have Notty, S04, and Windsor on hand for this. I've never used S04 before so I'll pitch that one on brew day.

2.1 lbs light DME
5.8 oz crystal 60

0.9 oz cascade @ 15
0.3 oz cascade @ 5

New plan:

I'm making a 2.5 gal batch tomorrow. I am thinking of doing a partial boil (1 gal with 1 lb DME) and doing a late extract addition to maintain my IBU's. Without a wort chiller, I plan to chill 1.5 gal spring water in the fridge overnight tonight and add the hot wort to it to chill to pitching temp.

Assuming I understand the purpose of partial boils and late additions, this should be good to go as far as IBU's, right?

Edit: Here is the recipe in Brewgr: http://brewgr.com/recipe/10366/15-minute-cascade-pale-ale-american-pale-ale-recipe?public=true

New plan:

I'm making a 2.5 gal batch tomorrow. I am thinking of doing a partial boil (1 gal with 1 lb DME) and doing a late extract addition to maintain my IBU's. Without a wort chiller, I plan to chill 1.5 gal spring water in the fridge overnight tonight and add the hot wort to it to chill to pitching temp.

Assuming I understand the purpose of partial boils and late additions, this should be good to go as far as IBU's, right?

Edit: Here is the recipe in Brewgr: http://brewgr.com/recipe/10366/15-minute-cascade-pale-ale-american-pale-ale-recipe?public=true

Reduce the temperature of your boiled wort in the kitchen sink with cold water, and ice if you have it, before adding the chilled top off water. With just adding the chilled water you may end up with the full volume of wort to warm to pitch the yeast into.

Reduce the temperature of your boiled wort in the kitchen sink with cold water, and ice if you have it, before adding the chilled top off water. With just adding the chilled water you may end up with the full volume of wort to warm to pitch the yeast into.

I didn't think I'd be able to, but my brewpot just barely fits in the kitchen sink :ban:

My O.G. is 1.058, so pretty close overall. The hydro sample is nice!

Have now made many versions of this 15-minute boil recipe. Love it as an easy alternative to a long all-grain brew day. And the results are consistently great. This one's a favorite and rivals any all grain IPA I make.

Here's my go to 15-minute Amarillo IPA recipe:

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.012
ABV: 7.1%

6 Gallons at end of boil
5.5 into fermenter

9lbs Breiss Light DME

2.5oz Amarillo 15min
1.5oz Amarillo 5min
2oz Amarillo 0min (40 min hop stand)
1.5oz Amarillo Dry Hop

If you want a really quick brew day, try this as a no chill brew. You'll be in and out in less than 2 hours. Not sure about no chill brewing? Check out the September BYO and you'll be sold.

Okay I tried this out. Made a 2.5 gallon batch. Don't let me down, random internet person!

Did this with mosaic today cant wait for it to finish. In to the fermentor it was nice. 2 oz at 15 mins 1oz at 10 min then .5 at flameout. Will dry hop with the remaining 1.5 that i have.

That amarillo IPA turned out great. For a 15 minute boil you can't beat this recipe and all its offshoots!

Mrs. Peruvian just came home from the HB shop and picked up the ingredients for this. I have lots of cascade on hand so I thought I would brew up a quick batch on the stovetop. I dropped the C60 and my wort chiller in as soon as I put the heat on and will follow the hop schedule. I've got some Notty slurry to dump in the fermenter.

Fingers crossed!

Did my third batch this past friday. First batch all cascade second dry hopped with centennial it was pretty good. This batch will be dry hopped with citra which should be pretty good too.

S.G. is 1.022 today. I think it's going to be time to dry hop soon :ban:

So this was the best beer I have made so far. Nice hop bitterness and flavor.

I plan on brewing this again soon, but IPA strength with a mix of Cascade and Centennial whole hops that I was given. Since AA's aren't known on homegrown hops, I will use a known quantity for the bittering charge at 15 min, and do a hopstand at 170F with the homegrown hops. This should be an awesome IPA!

Did another variation of his. Used 1# of carastan and 2 oz. of roasted barley to get a bit more malt flavour and color.
Centennial at 15 and 10 with Citra and mosaic at 5. Safale 04 for yeast this time.

As a new dad with s busy schedule this recipe is great as I can get a batch done in a couple hours. And it's always super tasty!

Anyone tried a Chinook heavy version of this?

yes, to me it tastes a bit like ashtrays though!

First time to use Chinook, an interesting hop but definitely not love at first taste, Citra/Simcoe versions were great!

I was going to say I am about to make this recipe again soon, but at this point, mine now uses 6 different hops and I will be trying the Vermont IPA yeast strain on it next to change it up. My recipe uses the principle of the short boil, but otherwise it keeps morphing into something else. It is refined enough that it has already won a stein against 42 other pale ales with my last version which I made twice.

I have made varieties of this 5 times now and it is too easy not to. I just like blending a bunch of hops to see how they affect the final outcome. It's the perfect house beer.

11055811_798422006880068_1338436936_n.jpg

I was going to say I am about to make this recipe again soon, but at this point, mine now uses 6 different hops and I will be trying the Vermont IPA yeast strain on it next to change it up. My recipe uses the principle of the short boil, but otherwise it keeps morphing into something else. It is refined enough that it has already won a stein against 42 other pale ales with my last version which I made twice.

I have made varieties of this 5 times now and it is too easy not to. I just like blending a bunch of hops to see how they affect the final outcome. It's the perfect house beer.

11055811_798422006880068_1338436936_n.jpg

I agree! I add a pound of sugar and a 30min flame out steep to bring it up into IPA territory. Outstanding recipe to build off of!

Thanks for this recipe. With a 6 month old baby I've been working on speeding up my brew time. This was a great recipe to try out. Took me ~2 hours start to finish with cleanup. I used a combination of Cascade and Mosaic. Going to dry hop with an ounce of Amarillo in a couple weeks. Thanks again for the recipe, I look forward to trying it. Cheers

Love messing with this recipe. Yesterday I bumped up the extract by a pound and added 1/2 pound of sugar to kick it into IPA range. I used centennial and citra which should be a good combo.

Trying out a 15min boil for the first time. Using 7.5lb Briess golden lme, 1/2lb Crystal 40, 1/2lb Munich Light. 2oz Columbus 15 min, 1oz Cascade 5min, 1oz Centennial whirlpool, 1oz Cascade dry hop. 2.5 Gallon boil. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Love this recipe. Dead simple and very tasty. I tried doing it with Belma hops and it picked up some really nice fruity citrus flavors including a bit of pineapple. Will be making another batch soon, as mentioned before me an awesome house recipe to always keep on hand.

Brewed this at some point recently, and it's been in bottles for about two weeks and is my favorite beer so far. I'm hoping to develop an AG version to have as a house ale.

Back