15-Minute Amarillo Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got it in primary right now. You're right you don't get much bitterness from 15 min boil that's why you use so much hops. The recipe is for when you don't have a lot of time to brew but still want to get something into a fermenter.

that seems kinda silly IMO. all your other time: preparation, clean-up, sanitizing, etc. is the same so you literally save only 45 minutes.

but...my friend used to make a porter with some strange hop additions and never really boiled anything more than a half hour. he made some good stuff, so to each his own! :mug:

Iechyd Da said:
I've got it in primary right now. You're right you don't get much bitterness from 15 min boil that's why you use so much hops. The recipe is for when you don't have a lot of time to brew but still want to get something into a fermenter.

What did you calc you IBUs at?

DeathBrewer said:
yikes, i've got almost 45 IBUs in promash....guess it really does get up there. you're going to have a ton of flavor from those hops, too.

Do you know what specific formula promash uses to determine IBUs?

Beersmith gives me 36 IBU's with a 4 gallon boil. The reason this saves time is because the guy who made the recipe does AG. So if you compare a 15 minute extract boil with a AG 60 min boil batch it does save a lot of time.

BTW, I also did his Harvest Ale recipe, but I didn't have fresh off the bine hops so I just used Cascade leaf. Very tasty brew.

This is a very informative show from the basicbrewing guys where they have a couple chemists on the show and they do various IBU tests using the different methods available from promash, beer tools, etc, then compare those results against lab tested beer finding out what the IBU's really are. It is quite eye opening.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr07-05-07ibutest.mp3

Did anyone try this method? I am thinking using this method may be good for an APA. One can still do an hour long boil, but just add a ton of hops the last 20 minutes of the boil...maybe every couple minutes or so. If enough hops were added you would get the IBUs, tons of flavor and aroma, theoretically...and the hour long boil will allow for protein strings to form.

DeathBrewer said:
if you're going to do an hour-long boil anyway, why bother with this method? sounds like a waste of hops to me.
I think I heard on one of the podcasts from The Brewing Network something about late hop additions.

Yes, it does require more hops, but by adding all the hops at the end(last 15 mins) it produced a smoother bitterness and different/better flavor and aroma.

You'd stil lhave to boil for an hour for DMS and stuff.

bigben said:
I think I heard on one of the podcasts from The Brewing Network something about late hop additions.

Yes, it does require more hops, but by adding all the hops at the end(last 15 mins) it produced a smoother bitterness and different/better flavor and aroma.

You'd stil lhave to boil for an hour for DMS and stuff.

I think I am going to try that for my next APA or AAA. It would be an awesome way to use "bittering" hops to add flavor....or I guess use "flavoring" hops to add bitterness. I just think it would be a cool way to add more hop flavor and aroma to a hoppy beer :D .

:off: I brewed my first SNPA clone this spring...awesome...my best brew yet!!

I tried the recipe the guys on basic brewing did and I thought I'd add my 2 cents. My history is 28 batches brewed, going full circle. Liquid Extract -> Mini Mash -> Small Batch All Grain -> Full All Grain > BIAB All Grain -> DME Extract -> 15 Minute Boils....continually experimenting and tweaking.

Beer Report: The 15 Minute APA is absolutely delicious! It's almost like drinking hop juice. The bitterness is on par with SNPA. I read someone saying it's a waste to double the hops at 15 minutes. I don't see any waste, simply instead of going to all bittering, half the hops contribute to flavor, that's awesome! It was the easiest brew day by far, total time between 2 to 2.5 hrs for an extract beer that tastes great, including setup and break down. The only flaw is it is hazy, probably due to the short boil and lack of a good hot break. I cooled it to 68 in 15 minutes with a 50' chiller I recently made.

My Recipe
6 lbs DME
1 lbs Crystal 60L
2.5 oz Amarillo (15min) whole leaf
1 oz Amarillo (5min) whole leaf
0.5 oz Cascade (2min) whole leaf
0.5 oz Amarillo (0min) whole leaf
Yeast - US Safale 05
Full 5 gallon boil

It was my first batch with whole leaf hops and 2nd with DME. I found I could strain the whole leaf hops easily with a pasta strainer easily leaving a clean beer to ferment. I kept it in the primary for 3 weeks and bottled. It's a big hit with my friends and family, even side by side to purchased micro brews.

If you're on a tight schedule, doubling proposed 60 minute hops and adding it in at 15 minutes works for me in my hectic schedule this fall. In addition, new techniques in bottling inspired by Reevy and others have also improved bottling day. Thanks guys for all the inspiration this place gives to try new methods. Best wishes all.

Postman

My history is 28 batches brewed, going full circle. Liquid Extract -> Mini Mash -> Small Batch All Grain -> Full All Grain > BIAB All Grain -> DME Extract -> 15 Minute Boils....continually experimenting and tweaking.

Postman

Its funny. I have had about the exact same progression in my brewing history. Now I am super busy and don't have the time to do the 7 hour brew day all grain thing and am trying to find a way to make GOOD BEER FAST!

All I drink is IPA's. I know, boring, but it is what I like. I was thinking that this would be a great technique for me, with all of the late hop additions. I have 35 lbs of hops in my freezer and no time to brew. (I bought all the hops 5 month's ago when I wasn't that busy and got a killer deal on them.) This seems like a good way to free up some freezer space!

My question is, does the flavor of the beer suffer with this style of brewing. I have been buying DME in 50 lb sacks lately, so I figure if I do something like this, and if it tastes equally as good as a mini mash, I will be stoked!

Anyone have any problems with DMS?

Recipe idea...............

15 Min Cali IPA

10 gal batch

12.5 lbs Pilsn DME
1.5 lb corn sugar
2lb Munich
1lb Crystal 40
1lb Crystal 120
1lb Carapils
4oz amarillo 15 min
4oz columbus 15 min
3oz amarillo 10 min
1.5 oz amarillo 5 min
1.5 oz centennial 5 min
1.5 oz amarillo 0 min
1.5 oz centennial 0min

3oz Columbus DH
3oz Amarillo DH
3oz Centiennial
3oz Chinook

est ibu 85
est srm 12.5
est og 1.074
safale us05
ferm temp 66 ramp to 70

Any ideas or advice.........?

I know I saw this recipe somewhere...:D

Prior to brewing I was concerned about the AA% of the hops and their bitterness. But they're all bitter enough.

So far I've made this 3 times each one with different hops and AA%s:

Challenger (7.1%)
Willamette (4.4%)
Cascade (6.3 (bittering) and 5.4).

Only the Willamette batch is kegged. Very tasty.

The Challenger one is definitely hoppy at 7.1%. Both are ready to rack to the secondary.

I plan on brewing a few more batches using other hops before determining which one(s) I like best and which one(s) need the AA%s tweaked.

I used Notty yeast across the board for this experiment.

Glassblower,

I've only done 2 of the 15 minute brews, an Amarillo and a Chinook. The only thing I can say, is to load up your beer with low AA hops. My Amarillo came out great, I got the recipe from the Basic Brewing Guys. The Chinook was an experiment b/c I had a ton of chinook in my freezer. It came out good, but not super good. It was more bitter than the Amarillo and less hoppy in the nose. I like it, but would not do it again. I just made an AG recipe using Columbus and I was impressed with it's flavor and nose, perhaps go big on this. Also, both my beers were only PA, not IPA, but I was pondering the IPA's too. I hope this helps, please update this thread when you get you're IPA's done. Cheers.

FYI you have no need to worry about DMS when making extract beers. The wort is boiled down to syrup or power in order to make extract which completely nukes the DMS.

If you think about it, EVERY noob brewer would be churning out corn-chowder beers if DMS was a problem for extract batches.

I racked (and sampled) my Challenger batch...definitely bitter.

I don't really think I actually tasted any beer because of all the bitterness.

I think I'll keep all future brews down to about 6% when it comes to hop AA percentages.

Sorry for bringing this back, but I don't feel my question deserves its own thread.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing several batches of beer to start learning the differences between any given hops. I figured doing a 15 minute boil would allow me to knock out 4 or 5 different hop varieties in a single day.

Anyways, to get to my question, would anyone think there would be a problem steeping the crystal malt in 2 gallons of water or so, then breaking that into 4 or 5 smaller aliquots, bringing the volume of each up to a gallon and a half or so and scaling the recipe appropriately for the small volume boil?

Back