15 gallon MT too big for 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebmc86

Reaction score
I want to buy a 15 gallon kettle but am concerned about it being too big. I normally brew 5 gallon batches and only do 10 gallon batches 1-2 times a year. Would I be better off with a 10 gallon MT? I'm worried about having my grain bed to shallow in the larger kettle. I want the extra room So I can do larger batches or bigger beers but I don't want to struggle with my typical 12 lb mashes. Any advice is appreciated.

Just to clarify. I have a 15 gallon BK and want a 15 gallon MT but will get 10 gallon MT if it will be better for my usual batches.

Im in a similar spot. Im going with 10 gallon, just because I very, very rarely do 10 gallon batches. You could also see if you can find a MT that has the same diameter, but is simply taller.

How do you sparge, if you batch sparge then the shorter grain bed will be less of a problem.

Right now I fly sparge. I have two 5 gallon cylindrical coolers that I tier above my kettle. They can barely handle my typical batches so I am looking to upgrade.

I have a 15 gallon HLT and MT with an 18 gallon BK. I have no issues with 5.5 and 11 gallon batches. Just did a 5.5 gallon 1.110 RIS and still had just a little room in the top of the MT.
I also fly sparge.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the 15 but am still unsure. I'm probably over thinking it.

Def go big. I have a half keg system (15 gals) and do 5 gals batches in it.

You'll NEVER have another concern of a boil over. Larger surface and much head space area allows steam to pass through boil bubbles and just break right into a rolling boil.

You can always brew more volume but you can't grow your pots.

Go big

I wouldn't go smaller then a 15gal ever since you can easily do 5gallon batches in it. Even a 20gallon would be ok, just might not be able to use the thermometer before the grain is added. Anybody care to comment?

Only thing I can think of is, more water will evaporate in a wider pot but your will have less boilovers

You want to be able to maintain enough grain bed for a good lauter. So it really isn't about the volume of the vessel but the surface area. As an example, I have a 20 gallon stout setup that does 5 gallon batches without a problem. However, if I wanted to push it to a 15 gallon batch the grain bed would be too deep and I would need to step up to the next size they sell as that comes in a larger diameter.

Occasionally I will do a 5 gallon batch with no sparge, and my 10 gallon mash tun is usually maxed out. So if you don't mind using a little extra grain (to account for a slight hit in efficiency), a 15 gallon tun would be great for no sparge brewing. And it will cut down on brew day time too (if that is even a concern for you).

I'm in the same boat as OP here. I'm currently building a semi-automated ebrew stand and bought a 7.5 gal for HLT, 15 gal mash, and 10 gal boil kettle. Now I'm second guessing the mash tun.

Figure 12 lbs of grain at 1.25 qt/lbs comes to 3.75 gallons. Not sure the volume of the grains, but that seems like you'd barely wet the bottom 1/4 of the mash tun. Guess I'd have a lot of headspace to mount a sparging nozzle, but wonder if I should use the 15 gal as my HLT and the 7.5 gal as my MLT.

You'll NEVER have another concern of a boil over. Larger surface and much head space area allows steam to pass through boil bubbles and just break right into a rolling boil.

Go big

This.:fro:

Go big

This man speaketh the truth!:mug:

I went with a 15 gallon MLT and a 15 BK. They had a problem shipping the false bottom, but I am set to do three batches as soon as it gets here. I will update how it goes after that. Thanks for all of the advice.

A larger Mash Tun means you can do REALLY BIG beers. :rockin:

This. I have a MT just shy of 10G. Tuesday, I did a 5G barleywine with an OG of 1.120, and I would have really liked to have had more room for a thinner mash and more vigorous stirring.

I want to buy a 15 gallon kettle but am concerned about it being too big. I normally brew 5 gallon batches and only do 10 gallon batches 1-2 times a year. Would I be better off with a 10 gallon MT? I'm worried about having my grain bed to shallow in the larger kettle. I want the extra room So I can do larger batches or bigger beers but I don't want to struggle with my typical 12 lb mashes. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a 15 gallon hlt 18 gallon mash tun and a 15 gallon boil kettle, I have yet to do a 10 gallon batch but on a 5 gallon batch and a high gravity brew 1.090 or higher my mt is pretty full I don't think I could do 10 Gallon with a 1.070 or higher og is my guess here in a couple months I will be doing my first 10 gal batch of wheat beer for the summer

This. I have a MT just shy of 10G. Tuesday, I did a 5G barleywine with an OG of 1.120, and I would have really liked to have had more room for a thinner mash and more vigorous stirring.

Yup. It really is a mathematical equation to find a balance. I doubt one could build a system that can do a 5 gallon batch of British mild and a 10 gallon batch of high gravity RIS. But if one is willing to sacrifice the extremes they can build a system that can do 5-10 gallons of most any style. That is why I so like the stout tanks 20 gallon size, it has that balance.

Latest posts

Back