15 gallon Demijohn Solera Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy of mine uses several for lambic batches and has been pretty happy. But be very careful with them.

Look for nalgene carboys on craigslist, you can get great deals on 50L (~13.2 gal) if that works for you. They retail at $200+ typically.

Oooh I have one I bought off an old wine guy, currently a decoration in my bedroom, bookmarked for future reference.

I don't see why that wouldn't work. At the same time, if you are going to do that much, why not go for a barrel? My LHBS sells used 15 gal bourbon barrels for $175. I also think our demijohns are $10-20 cheaper. Not sure if they ship them, though.

I don't see why that wouldn't work. At the same time, if you are going to do that much, why not go for a barrel? My LHBS sells used 15 gal bourbon barrels for $175. I also think our demijohns are $10-20 cheaper. Not sure if they ship them, though.

My main concern was long term O2 exposure in the small barrel.

Go plastic, imho. My 15 gal drums were free and make perfectly fine sour beer. I use the barrels lme comes in. There are other options for very good prices. Barrels are great, but mostly are for romantic reasons. Demis are great too....but you can get 2-3 plastic containers for the price of one demi or barrbarrel

Back