15 gal conical I put together

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone really know if the plastic that these things are made from is food grade plastic???

They are. Made of Polyethylene and it's food safe. It's the same plastic that the 8 gallon mini brew tanks I have are made of. I did extensive searching before i bought one.. Believe me I'm not going to ferment in some crappy plastic that is not food grade safe..lol

here is a company that explains it a little better.
Inductor Cone Bottom Bulk Storage Tanks - US Plastic Corporation

They are. Made of Polyethylene and it's food safe. It's the same plastic that the 8 gallon mini brew tanks I have are made of. I did extensive searching before i bought one.. Believe me I'm not going to ferment in some crappy plastic that is not food grade safe..lol

Okay then...just my concern is that it might have some recycled plastics in it....which would instantly make it non-food grade.

Appears as though those tanks that you posted are good to go. I was wondering about the tank that the OP was speaking of.

Appears as though those tanks that you posted are good to go. I was wondering about the tank that the OP was speaking of.

I am the OP.. lol, and those are the same tanks, just a different manufacture. Just wanted to answer your question about food grade. That's why i posted a different link that had different info.

I am the OP.. lol, and those are the same tanks, just a different manufacture. Just wanted to answer your question about food grade. That's why i posted a different link that had different info.

Good enough....keep up the good work.

P.S. What kind of stand did you end up making? Put any thought into that basketball hoop?

Stand will be built today .. waiting on my friend to come over for the build party.. lol. I'm going to put all my fermenters on this stand.. I'll post pics later of the set up.. ;)

Ok done with quick stand..

DSC01940.jpg

DSC01939.jpg

I took this top piece off and a rubber stopper goes in perfect in there.. I'm stoked. no added drilling

DSC01937.jpg

NM about the conical stand, I wasn't looking at the right part of the picture. But still, how far up did you put the ball valve?

Ok thats kinda what I thought but I'd rather ask and look stupid than not know and look really stupid. The setup looks great how is it working out for you?

Could we also get a picture of the conical from underneath the table?

I would be interested to see how much room you have for the racking port,etc.

Thanks!

I'm in the process of designing a fermentation cabinet that will hold two of these (i've had one that I have never used since Jan 2008) and 6 carboys.

Thanks again!

What size hole did you end of cutting to get the conical to fit like that?

I don't remember. But i will grab a tape tonight and measure and let you know.. As you lift up the conical the racking port does not get in the way at all when you take it out to clean..

how are you planning to control temps?

My fermenting room stays 70/72 year round

Thanks!

I'm in the process of designing a fermentation cabinet that will hold two of these (i've had one that I have never used since Jan 2008) and 6 carboys.

Thanks again!

yes i will snap a shot tonight for you.

How did you attach the valve to the conical, what hardware is used?

I used a SS weldless fitting Bargain Fittings you have to get the 1.5 inch nipple cause the walls of the tank are about 3/8 thick. I tried the regular fitting you get for the kegs but was not enough thread space to secure. so 1 1/2 nipple and good to go.

If you have a local lowes or home depot you can get all those fittings parts a lot cheaper.

the Lowes and Home Depot here where i live don't have anything Stainless Steel fittings. If they do in your neck of the woods then great.. there is no one here on this island that has the fittings i needed for this conical. I highly doubt that they have Polyethylene and polypropylene reducer fittings and SS ball valves at any of the stores period anywhere for that matter.. Let alone wieldless fittings..

Does anyone know of a Home D or lowes that sells Wieldless fittings.. ?? Chime in if you do..

You might be able to piece together the stuff from HD or Lowes, but finding a full on weldless fitting is not going to happen. I feel for you out there. Hawaii could really use a bit of help in the homebrew department. Even on Oahu, it was a PITA.

I am lucky to have my friend down the street as the local home brew supplier for the island. and he has every grain, and mostly a large selection of whole hops. But when it comes to Specialty items and fittings, I'm better off ordering and paying a crap load for shipping..

Mcbrew i see you have lived here before.. So i know you really do feel my pain.. lol. and that goes for anything really.. you get what you get when it's here..

Oh well .. I can't complain really. it's sweet on the big island..:mug:

I hope you guys are going to be sending your beers for next years Kona brew fest. we had 245 entries last year for home brewers. hope to get more this year..

My fermenting room stays 70/72 year round

That's what I was worried about. At those temps without being able to cool the fermenter the beer will be pushing the upper 70's. Not a good thing. You really need to figure out a way to keep the temps down in the mid/low 60's

I don't remember. But i will grab a tape tonight and measure and let you know.. As you lift up the conical the racking port does not get in the way at all when you take it out to clean..

yes i will snap a shot tonight for you.

Thanks! I look forward to the pictures and measurements in hopes I can put your knowledge to good use on my conical. If everything works out I will have to go buy a second!

Thanks again!

When you dump the yeast cake wont that cause the level of the beer to drop slightly therefore creating a small vacuum and suck whatever is in your airlock (and possibly outside air) into the fermenter? Do you plan on taking the airlock off (or lid I guess) when you dump? I have seen on a lot of the expensive SS conicals that they have a CO2 hookup on the top (I guess to solve the above mentioned problem, but i dont know). Any plans on adding something like that?

Sorry let me be more clear. You can get the individual parts to build your own fittings a lot cheaper at the hardware stores. That web site showed both complete fittings and individual parts, all of which are very over priced. Not all places will have stainless steel ball valves. Mine only had brass. But it works just as well and is even less expensive. The parts to build weldless fittings are very common and most hardware stores will have them.

Thanks! I look forward to the pictures and measurements in hopes I can put your knowledge to good use on my conical. If everything works out I will have to go buy a second!

Thanks again!

16 1/4 inch in diameter hole and dropped it in. That's pretty much it. Just make a sturdy stand and cut a hole and done deal. i cut a slot to clear the racking arm, but only to find out it was useless. it clears the hole just fine as you put it in. I'll try and get pics tomorrow. sorry for the delay but have been busy..

When you dump the yeast cake wont that cause the level of the beer to drop slightly therefore creating a small vacuum and suck whatever is in your airlock (and possibly outside air) into the fermenter? Do you plan on taking the airlock off (or lid I guess) when you dump? I have seen on a lot of the expensive SS conicals that they have a CO2 hookup on the top (I guess to solve the above mentioned problem, but i dont know). Any plans on adding something like that?

I have been using conicals since the first time i brewed a couple years ago. Yes i take the air lock off before i bleed the yeast. ( who wouldn't.? ) and i do blast CO2 in after i am done. I just have a tank with a regulator and use a hose and fill from the hole in the top. I never used to do that, and never have i had a problem or infection in any brew i have done. but i guess it's safe piece of mind in case. Honestly i think it's overkill. But we do a lot of overkill in this hobby..:rockin:

Thanks!

Thanks again!

DSC01944.jpg

DSC01943.jpg

with the 16 1/4 hole you can just lift it out and the arm does not get in the way.. works well..

Update. In order to make the racking arm with the wieldless fitting work you need to get a 1 1/2 nipple and not the 1 1/4 that comes with the kit. and you will need an extra Stainless washer on the inside of the tank to get it tight and water proof..

It's working well and no leaks. I'll be fementing in it next week hopefully.

do you have a dip tube off the racking arm so when you transfer you get all the beer or do you just let what ever is left in there go

when i am done bottling, I bleed off the small amount left of yeast and then i bottle the rest.. i set these bottles aside and they are carbed up faster and ready to drink cause it has more yeast in it.. i just fill up a container with the last of it and pore into bottles.. you can get about 10 bottles with what is left.. the beauty is that these are ready to drink in a week..

Once I have room for a Fermentation Freezer, I think I'm going to get an upright freezer and put in a shelf with a hole for one of these...

Well my good friend wants to brew, and has limited funds so i told him he could buy his own grain and brew at my place and ferment in my room.

So he gave me 200 bucks and off i went online searching for the right deal.

I use the mini brew polyethylene plastic conicals and have been having great success with them. So I found these Bio diesel storage tanks that are made of polyethylene as well.Cone Bottom Inductor Tanks
I know some others have done this too on here as well. But mine will have different fittings.

Cost of the tank. 56.00
Shipping 110.00 ( I know its complete rape, but i am in Hawaii and nothing is cheap to ship.:mad:)
2" to 1/14 polypropylene reducer 8.80 Reducer Nipples
I found a set of two Stainless 1 1/4 Ball valves on Ebay for 40 bucks (got one for myself so i can make another if i like it)
I'm going to use a 1/2 SS wieldless fitting for the racking arm 20.00
and found another set of two 1/2 SS three piece Ball valves on Ebay for 33.00.
I'm just going to drill a hole on top and pop the S lock bung in there.
And of course i have to build a stand. ( well he is anyway)

Pretty good deal i think. thought i would share.

DSC01933.jpg

DSC01934.jpg

DSC01935.jpg

issack; sounds like you used Fed-X shipping they use canoes vs UPs they use kayaks that are faster and cheaper besides union.

A little off topic here; one person went from Monterey California to Hawaii in a Necky Arluk III kayak, it took 63 days instead of the planned 58 days.
Yup I have the same one I play in the San francisco bay and down the coast to Monterey, I have a property in Pacific Grove two blocks from the ocean. I also live on an island, Alameda California. Cheers bro have some suds.

Yeah I'm pretty into this. A 15G conical for about $155, minus a stand. Now to incorporate a storage system into my planning for a fermentation chamber.

Bump for a report, I know these have had several brews in them by now. ;) I'm about to get two 35g Norwesco inductor tanks to do the very same thing.

Was just thinking that it might be a good idea to find some kind of gasket to go around the hole in the stand. I think over time you might get a bit of wear on your fermenter from sitting in there all heavy and stuff with that raw wood rubbing on your tank. Just a thought.

Back