14mm is for 1/2" tubing right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaymzJaymz

Reaction score
I've saved a lot of money in the past by getting SS fittings from foreign suppliers, despite the wait time(that's where it all comes from anyway). Just making sure that a 14mm hole in a fitting like a compression fitting is for the 1/2 stainless tubing we all use. Am I right? Thanks.

Thank you sir. Does that mean that 14mm is the right size for that tube? In other words, is 14mm the right ferrule and cap size to go over that tube(12.7mm)? I know I should just forget about it and order it from you!!!

1 inch is 25.4 mm. 1/2 inch is 12.7 mm.
I am no expert, but I think 1/2" is the Inner diameter of the tube. Some vendor will specify the OD an ID, and you might need to pay attention if you are buying from different vendors.

1 inch is 25.4 mm. 1/2 inch is 12.7 mm.
I am no expert, but I think 1/2" is the Inner diameter of the tube. Some vendor will specify the OD an ID, and you might need to pay attention if you are buying from different vendors.

It's not. Tube compression fittings are named for the tube OD since tubing wall thickness are variable. 1/2" tubing is not a perfect fit for 14mm by any means but you can get it lock in with orings in place of ferrules.

Bobby_M, I've never seen a 13mm ferrule and cap hole listed, so I don't know what other than a 14mm would be the choice. Ozarks I'm talking about the hole in the fitting, not a hole I delude in the pot.

Right, I'm saying that even thought 14mm is a little too large (and the metal ferrules absolutely will not tighten on 1/2") you CAN use silicone orings (2 or 3 stacked) and it will work.

OK Bobby_M, thank you. I had no idea who I was talking to. Just got an order from you this week. I will expound a little bit on what I'm talking about. Sometimes I order the fittings off of eBay. Most homebrew suppliers sell fittings that are made in China anyway, unless I very wrong? Sometimes I can get several fittings for the price of one(in America), and the shipping is free. The only bad part is it takes a long time to get here. Since I have never seen a compression fitting with a 13 mm opening, I was assuming that 14 mm would be the size to match a 1/2" stainless tube. If this isn't the case, what is the size? I'm sorry to sound so naïve. Thanks for your help. Most of my money goes to quality homebrew suppliers like yourself, but I try to save a little bit sometimes!

Last edited:
You actually need a ½" fitting for that kind of diameter piping. Ferrules have small tolerances, and afaik you cant find 13mm ferrules. Its hard to find on ebay/ali, I have not been able to find one myself. They are mostly in mm.

Since there is such as thing as metric tubing, fittings, bolts, etc used in most of the world and you're buying directly from China, it makes sense that you'll find a lot of metric stuff out there. The easy answer is to stop buying metric fittings. Save a few bucks and you've traded that savings for hassle. There really is no cross reference between mm and inches or at least not at the tolerances most fittings need to work together. As I said a few times though, you CAN replace the compression ferrule with a stack of orings to lock down on a slightly undersized tube in a pinch.

I'll get up on a soap box a little. Plumbing parts, NPT, Flare, Compression, QDs, all come in different sizes and the inter-working between parts is not necessarily an amateur's game. I've been selling these parts for 8 years now and when you buy my parts at the slightly higher prices than Hong Kong Ebay, you're getting my labor of vetting component quality, correct sizing, and then pre and post sale advice. I know it's extremely tempting to bargain hunt. Ok, that's all.

Thanks guys. I will pipe down after this. The point I was trying to make is that the LHBS's sell these same fittings made in China, so aren't the shops that sell the compression fittings with an opening measured in inches simply selling the mm size that's closet?

Back