1469 for and RIS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
Anyone ever use this yeast for a big stout? It is not a style that it is recommended for. However I am fermenting a brown ale with it right now and was considering dumping an RIS onto the yeast cake.

Alcohol tolerance is 9%. Which is ok with me, if I should for around 9-10 and end up with some sugars it's fine since I plan on extended aging for the beer anyways.

Ive used ia large pitch of 1469 in an RIS, mixed with a little whitbred dry strain, which worked well. I liked the fruitiness. But id be concerned with 1469s low attenuation with a large beer, be prepared for alot of residual sugar.

It's a risk. I'm not sure I am after the fruitiness. I think maybe I will scratch the idea and just some nottingham for it.

1469 is supposedly the Courage yeast, which if it is, has arguably fermented more imperial stout wort than any yeast on the planet. History aside, if you have good process control with pitching and fermentation, 1469 makes excellent dark beers; some fruitiness but good, complex malt character as well. Nottingham is pretty one dimensional and makes thin beer, I'd use almost anything else over that.

1469 is supposedly the Courage yeast, which if it is, has arguably fermented more imperial stout wort than any yeast on the planet. History aside, if you have good process control with pitching and fermentation, 1469 makes excellent dark beers; some fruitiness but good, complex malt character as well. Nottingham is pretty one dimensional and makes thin beer, I'd use almost anything else over that.

All I knew is that it was from timothy taylor. I had not ever heard it was the courage yeast. Do you remember where you picked up that info from? I will do some googling to check it out.

Yeah I think if I do it I'll keep it pretty cool at first to keep the temp in check. And I've been using this pitch for a few generations so that might help a tad with attenuation.

All I knew is that it was from timothy taylor. I had not ever heard it was the courage yeast. Do you remember where you picked up that info from? I will do some googling to check it out.

Yeah I think if I do it I'll keep it pretty cool at first to keep the temp in check. And I've been using this pitch for a few generations so that might help a tad with attenuation.

1469 is from Timothy Taylor, Timothy taylor is said to originally got their yeast from Courage, though it has may have changed before wyeast sampled it.

Ok. I'll do it! Next step, anyone recommend a good RIS? I will be adding heavy toast American oak cubes soaked in old grand dad bonded to it.

I used marubozos RIS last time but I am looking for something more specifically designed for long term/oaking/bourboning.

Ok. I'll do it! Next step, anyone recommend a good RIS? I will be adding heavy toast American oak cubes soaked in old grand dad bonded to it.

I used marubozos RIS last time but I am looking for something more specifically designed for long term/oaking/bourboning.

i think the above suggested the courage recipe.
head overthe shutupaboutbarclayperkins blog for recipe information.

alternatively the CYBI 8wired Istout recipe is pretty damn tasty!

Just thinking out loud here, but I'd be inclined to mash at a lower temp (149F) and maybe use some sugar in the recipe to keep things from getting too thick with 1469. I've never used it for anything over 5.5% abv yet, so I'd be really curious to hear how this one turns out. :)

UPDATE!

Thanks for all who replied. So I missed my Target OG of 1.098 by a lot.

I ended up with 1.086. Mash was 150 - 152. It was all grain batch with 2.5 lbs of extract was added to the boil at 15 minutes. No Sugar.

Pitched onto yeast cake of 1469 (third generation). The yeast cake was from a brown ale of about 1.059ish gravity.

Fermentation happened fast, and final gravity was 1.019. Pretty great really. So alcohol ended up at 8.74 and AA was 78%. Thats the upper end of the abv spec for the yeast and AA was way above what wyeast says.

So I guess I didn't test the alcohol tolerance as much as I though I would given my huge miss with the OG, but based on what I ended up with I would not be scared to try again with a 1.098 beer.

Tastes good so far! It's in a keg with some heavy toast oak cubes and some bourbon where it will sit until the fall.

Back