137 gallon fermenter IDEA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on how that looks, and the calculations, I wouldn't put another barrel on top of that. Pretty much everything I've read, both from the links posted above and some books that I have, says that it would be detrimental to go with a fermenter that has dimensions as skewed as that.

The question is... do you want to make a lot of good beer, or do you want to make twice as much average beer?

Yes you are right I will only put one on top. otherwise it would exceed the 3/1 ratio.
I was a little upset about it earlier but I am over it now.

as far as cleaning this monster, do it the way they do in breweries. With this!

sprays.jpg

CIP sprayer balls. You run caustic through for 40 min or so, then your rinse, then sanitize.

VERY IMPORTANTE!! when ever you brew in this the amount of CO2 in the fermenter is EXTREMELY high. SO when you drain out the beer out to your BT/SV then you need to let it air out before you put your head in there or you will be waking up on the floor with a headache.

When I worked in a Micro, they opened the manway after draining and I got close and it took the breath out of my chest!

But brew on Brutha! This is something I've wanted to do for a while. I have fermented in a straight 55 gallon drum. I did 35 gallons with no problem.

Good luck,

John

Thanks for all the advice John. Really good info. I dont know what BT/SV stood for though. What do those little balls do? hahaaha that sounds aweseme.
I wanted to use a pressure washer. It is a commercial style with a heating element so the water comes out blistering hot. I think this will do the job really well. What are your thoughts.

Question - does a tall skinny fermenter like that impact fermentation? I'm just curious...

Yeah, if it's too tall, it will increase the pressure on the yeast towards the bottom which can cause them to produce diacetyl.

Thanks for all the advice John. Really good info. I dont know what BT/SV stood for though. What do those little balls do? hahaaha that sounds aweseme.
I wanted to use a pressure washer. It is a commercial style with a heating element so the water comes out blistering hot. I think this will do the job really well. What are your thoughts.

The spray ball sits at the top of the fermenter and you pump your cleaning solution through it and it showers your fermenter. Breweries pump caustic through the CIP ball in a loop to clean. Then rinse , then sani. Everything is done in a loop. The CIP Ball will do the same thing as the pressure washer, only you can do it on a closed system.

The BT/SV is Brite Tank/ Serving Vessel. It is the tank that Breweries move the beer from the Fermenter to to condition under refridgeration and use it as a serving tank. In our cases it would be our Cornies.

Hope this Helps. Hollar if you need anything else!

Good luck,

john

The effect of fermentor shape, while not well understood is tangible. Some belgian brewers held off for years before going from wide open fermentors to tall cylindroconcials, and when they did, they filled the fermentors only half way to make the width the height ratio more equal.

just something to keep in mind.

What about fittings? I was going to do a 1/2 but I am starting to think thats silly. Any ideas?

For fittings you might want to start at 1". That way when you size up your fittings are a usable size. Your hose should also be 1" and the fittings on your pump. Use the pump for CIP.

I have worked at some bigger breweries and we would use compressed air to blow out the CO2 before running caustic. Your fermenter is so small the amount of CO2 will only have a small effect on the ph of your caustic.

If you haven't already you might want to call some local breweries and see if they will show you around. That will give you time to ask tons of questions and see what some folks are doing on a production level.

I looked at the web site above and the one thing I didn't like was the threads on the Tri-clover. This is not a true sanitary fitting. Try McMaster Carr. The fittings should be tri to hose barb.

****update**** I am going to recieve the hopper today:rockin: I am super stoked.

I wanted some advise. Does anyone know this distance I should make the hole for the upper butterfly valve?
example the one to take samples.
Complete Conical Fermenter - Pro-Series (7.1 Gallon) | MoreBeer

Also, I want to add this thermowell to the fermentor as well. I really dont know how it works. I would imagine you put a ?probe? into it to measure the internal temps? If so I think I should use but where should I install it on the fermenter? I have seen them installed on the hopper part on larger models. I asume this is where it should go too. If this is the place, is there a specific location where it should go?
MoreBeer!Pro | Tri-Clamp Thermowell

Photo Gallery
one other thing if you go to the image that has the "racking arm" its the interior image of the fermenter. What is it used for and where can i get it if I need it.
I will start taking pictures of the progress real soon.
Thanks

Can anyone add to this.

Well the legs to this fermenter is really starting to cause some problems. I bought the wrong size tubing for the legs so there goes 100 bucks. Then I drive 120 miles after ordering the right size tubing come to find out they order alum vs stainless steel. A little side note. You cannot weld alum with stainless steel. So they wont have it till monday. Yet they were very cool about the mistake.

I got my first welding quote back 700 dollars to have it welded!!!!!!!! OUTRAGOUS. So i am still looking for a welder. I have a guy I used before and he was very good and much better priced.

P039 Three-piece Ball Valve Stainless 1/2" $28.99 $57.98 Delete
P035 90-degree Elbow Stainless 1/2" MPT x 1/2" FPT $8.25 $8.25 Delete
P026 Nipple Stainless 1/2", 1.5" long $3.25 $3.25 Delete
CF21 Fermenator Tri-Clamp Blowoff Assembly $114.99 $114.99 Delete
40289 Better Bottle Blowoff Assembly $5.75 $5.75

Ok so this is my order from northern brewers. Did I miss anything? I am not sure how everything mounts on the inside.
Has anyone ever purchased the fermenator Tri-clamp Blowoff Assembly before? IF so should I get it?

Hey CBBaron, I went down to the borders book store and they didnt have it. So I will have to go to a couple others but spot on advice.

JUST AN FYI: I am really counting on everyones advise on my project. You guys saved me before and I want to make sure I dont make any mistakes. Thanks guys.

OMG, that's awesome. We have a similar system we're working on...only up to 1.5 barrels and not near as nice as yours. We currently have to siphon liquid, I'd much prefer to get a conical bottom and add a spigot.

Pretty sweet! Have you fermented/cleaned it yet? The small brewery by my house uses something like a heated pressure washer (like you have) with a ball on the end that sprays in every direction. Would work well for you, I think.

No not yet. I didnt want to clean it until i get every last single part and I havent gotten all of them yet. I just ordered the the last of the parts today. The rest of the blowoff assembly and more tri clamps.
I am real siked with the out come.
If you look at the gallery in my profile you can see all of the pictures for it.

Thanks. Lakeeriebrew. I just posted it under the DIY area. Click my profile for all the pics to the parts.

I think the best bet would be to build a walk-in environmentally controlled room that would not only cool, but heat also, especially if you plan on having more than one of these.

I think the best bet would be to build a walk-in environmentally controlled room that would not only cool, but heat also, especially if you plan on having more than one of these.

I agree with you 100%. I have constructed such room. However, at the time I only want to heat. I do not want to deal with the cost of cooling so I will only be dealing with a warm room. So this is a seasonal fermenter. For now.

Have you considered an interior stainless chiller attached to the lid. Make it about half the diamater of the fermentor. It would come off with the lid so could be cleaned and would not touch the sides so no worry about scratching your fermentor. Then have an external wrapped around the outside. This would help distribute cooling throughout the beer in the fermentor. No warmer spot in the middle.

I just wanted to re-ask where you are finding the ss barrels? Some friends and I are looking for some of the same, in your same geographic area, so a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

*Edit - poor reading on my part. From your other post -
1- 55 gallon stainless steel drum
(i used abby drum in Baltimore Md) BUY USED

Have you considered an interior stainless chiller attached to the lid. Make it about half the diamater of the fermentor. It would come off with the lid so could be cleaned and would not touch the sides so no worry about scratching your fermentor. Then have an external wrapped around the outside. This would help distribute cooling throughout the beer in the fermentor. No warmer spot in the middle.

Yes I have thought of it. However, it is not in the budget right now :(.
What would you use glycol or water? If you go with glycol, the cost goes up really fast. Plus, if a leak occurs, you are really in trouble. However, it would be a risk worth taking. If you use water, you save a lot of money on equipment. But you many lose in the performance department.

I plan on working with nature a little. For now, I will brew in the fall or winter and deal with just heating it. I have a warm room and can control the temp. very well in it. When I need to crash cool it. I can just roll it out into the main floor space into 32-40 degree weather.

Back