120v RIMS controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjkeegan86

Super Bit Brewing
Reaction score
I am planning on adding a 120v RIMS tube into my current 3 vessel 1 pump system. First step will be to create the control box. I took a shot at diagramming a plan for making it work.
Blank Diagram - Page 1.png

I'm planning on using CraftBeerPi as the brains of the operation, I currently use it but only to monitor the temperatures, not for actually switching any relays.

Mainly need help with what type of switches and supplies to get I'm Planning on using Auberins.com for most of the electrical stuff. And brewhardware.com for the RIMS tube and heating element.

Items
  • 1 main power switch, not sure what would be best
  • 3 Terminal Blocks
  • 3 Status LEDs
  • 2 40A SSRs on 1 big heatsink
  • 2 fail safe switches inline with the load wires in case of a failure, not sure which would be best
  • 3 terminal blocks on a DIN rail, again not sure what to get.
  • Temp probes, I have these already
  • 240v 5500watt heating element running on 120v
  • ac 110 to 5v dc converter for Pi powersupply, definitly lost on this one there are a lot of options on amazon, not sure what to get.
  • 1 RIMS tube.
So any direction or help would be appreciated. Thank you

You can just take apart a wall wart 5v supply for the Pi. I use cheap, small 10a mechanical relays for pumps. A 40a ssr is overkill in that application.

You don't need a SSR for the pump. You aren't switching it on & off quickly. It should be running the whole time.

You miss out on the DIY learning experience. Other than that it looks capable of what your original schematic intends. You'll have to tell Bobby to modify it to switch pumps if you want that

The main power receptacle is fed off the solid state relay for up to 1650 watts. There is also a second receptacle that gets powered on a programmed alarm trigger and is capable of 8 amps of current. Several customers asked if this outlet can be used to switch a pump. The answer is yes as we now offer the unit with a slight modification whereby a second toggle switch is added to power the second outlet and disconnect it from the electronic alarm function. We repeat, if you select the option to have the alarm outlet modified we will install a toggle switch on the face of the unit that will control whether the alarm outlet is hot or not. It gets completely disconnected from the alarm functionality of the unit.

Back