120v heater for 30 gallon system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 121283

Reaction score
I'm guessing 120v just isn't enough for a 30 gallon system? I can't seem to find a coil for a 30 gallon kettle that isn't 240v. Can you use hot water heater elements in a boiler? If so, can you wire them for 120v?

Gotcha... Thanks for the info, working on a plan to upgrade to a 30 gallon system and we'd like to go to electric brewing.

Now what about heating an HLT with a heating element from a hot water heater? Will that get up to the 160ish mark?

Right on... We have a 240 plug already wired we'd like to expand into once we can get the funds to upgrade the boiler. The immediate upgrade I'd like to do is convert the HLT to electric heat. Anyone have a preference on one element over another? What about the thermostat, is there a pre-programmed one I could use? Would it be better to run two 2000w elements or would that just draw more electricity than needed?

Thanks for helping an electric brew noob out gents!!

if you have a 240 plug just wait for a 5500 watt 240 element then you will need a pid with a rtd probe to control it, there are many ways to do this and it really all depends on your DIY skills and budget.

trust me the conversion from propane to electric is not a plug and play set up and can run several hundred dollars just for the very basic unit

its no cheaper to go 120v than 220 if you have the power available. well, maybe a bit but 120v in a 30 gallon system will be painfully slow

4000 watts would take 2 hours to give a 100 degree rise to 30 gallons

We planned on getting a boil coil for a 30gal boiler in the future to utilize that 240 plug. So how much are we talking to just get the HLT (15gal) switched over to electric if we just use heating elements from a hot water heater?

there are literally thousands of threads and videos on converting to electric. I would say if doing it yourself you could convert for under $150
Seeing your HLT is only 15 gallons I still would never recommend going 120v. I'm sure lots have but that'll take a long damned time to heat the water.

the boil coils are nice but man are they expensive. a 5500 watt element and all the stuff to install it can be had for 50ish dollars

Yea I don't want to wait that long to heat up the hlt... Lol with propane it's been fairly quick. I'll have to look around or the conversion threads and see what people did. Thanks for the info guys!!

Some use low wattage HLT's but put them on a timer to turn on say a few hours before brewing. There is a long thread titled something like "I love waking up to hot strike water.

Back