120 or 90 minute boils, but hops at 60??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright, given that you're brewing a style where you'd have a long boil to concentrate the wort (Barleywine, RIS, etc..), rather than reduce DMS as in lighter beers that call for a longer boil, why do most of these big beer recipes only call for a 60 minute addition instead of a 90 or 120 granted that they're usually highly hopped? It's not that I don't understand that the amount of extra IBU's you'd be getting is minimal depending on what formula of bitterness you use, but it seems as if you'd get more bang for your buck if you utilize the hops throughout that extended boil.

I hope that's not too lengthy,
J

The extended boil is to drive off DMS from different grains and reduce volume for a higher OG. Hop utilization and properties don't change. I don't know what happens to hops when boiled longer, but I'd imagine a harsher bitterness which would not be desirable. Not the same as more hops at 60 minutes, but a different type of bitter.

You are correct and you can use this chart to adjust the add.

hop_util1.png

You are correct and you can use this chart to adjust the add.

hop_util1.png

See, this is kinda what I was thinking. I wonder what formula of bitterness they're using b/c it seems as if the longer you boil, you get much more bitterness that I was thinking you'd get. Thanks guys.

When I am doing lenghty boils for dms and such, I still hop for the original length of the recipe. In the case of a 90 minute boil, I boil for 30 minutes, the when I hit 60 minutes left I add my 60 minute hop addition...I'm not messing with the bitterness.

That chart seems a bit steep. You do extract more bitterness when you boil longer, but I think that the plateau will happen much sooner after 60 than that chart indicates.

At least, that's what using beersmith leads me to believe.

If I foresee a longer boil, then I just hop as I usually would to avoid messing with the bitterness.

That chart seems a bit steep. You do extract more bitterness when you boil longer, but I think that the plateau will happen much sooner after 60 than that chart indicates.

At least, that's what using beersmith leads me to believe.

If I foresee a longer boil, then I just hop as I usually would to avoid messing with the bitterness.

well this is what I was thinking too, but I think it depends on what formula one uses (at least a little bit) I would think. To what IP said, then how do you think Dogfish Head estimates their ibu's for the big continuously hopped beers they brew, like 120 min?

a harsher bitterness which would not be desirable.
This is also my understanding. Extended hop boiling makes a harsh bitterness that is not so good. Also, most of the isomerization happens fairly quickly so there is no real gains from boiling past 60 min.

Back