120 minute IPA problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantastic01SS

Reaction score
I brewed this yesterday as the 1st part of a parti gyle brew along with an oatmeal stout. The recepie calls for 20 lbs of corn sugar during the boil... Which I found safe and sound in the box this morning. Too many beers I guess. I'm going to just add the sugar to the primary.. Anyone think this could be a problem?

I've never done this one before, but aren't you supposed to add the corn sugar in small increments (daily?) after fermentation has started, not just all at once?

Maybe I'm confused...

20 lbs of corn sugar in 5 gallons will give you a gravity of 1.144, before accounting for the malt you used.

The corn sugar alone will kill the yeast due to osmotic pressure (high sugar content). For this beer, the corn sugar is supposed to be added in increments as the fermentation progresses.

I would add in increments anyway. Start with 10 lbs then 1 lb every couple days thereafter. Dissolved in a bit of water of course

Bamsdealer said:
I would add in increments anyway. Start with 10 lbs then 1 lb every couple days thereafter. Dissolved in a bit of water of course

That's actually exactly what I'm doing. It's bubbling away like a beast and seems happy right now.

I started adding sugar to all my Belgian beers during fermentation rather than the boil. I started doing this after I had a some yeast fail in a beer that I was pushing the the limit on. The beer ended up very sweet and almost undrinkable. I usually wait until the Fermentation is going strong (24-48 hrs) then dissolve the sugar in some water. For a 10 gallon batch I add as much as 5 lbs. What I have found is that I can really push the ABV limit of the yeast. I can get 14% BSD and Tripels without an issue. Another benefit is that you get much better hop utilization do to the lower gravity wort at boil.

I started adding sugar to all my Belgian beers during fermentation rather than the boil. I started doing this after I had a some yeast fail in a beer that I was pushing the the limit on. The beer ended up very sweet and almost undrinkable. I usually wait until the Fermentation is going strong (24-48 hrs) then dissolve the sugar in some water. For a 10 gallon batch I add as much as 5 lbs. What I have found is that I can really push the ABV limit of the yeast. I can get 14% BSD and Tripels without an issue. Another benefit is that you get much better hop utilization do to the lower gravity wort at boil.

Excellent! Fermentation was definitely in full swing when I added the first bunch of sugar. I have it split between 2 fermenters and added 5 lbs to each in the morning, then again in the evening. I'm going to add the small incrimental additions beginning today along with the dry hops. Very exciting. :rockin:

Back