12 vs 22

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallsc111

Reaction score
OK if you put beer in 22 oz bottles will that reduce the amount of oxidation since the ratio of head space to the volume of beer is smaller?

I bet you're more likely to get oxidation from agitating the beer up to the point when it is transferred to the bottle than from agitating the bottle afterward. I could be wrong though.

If this were an issue, commercial breweries wouldn't be using 12 ouncers at all would they?

You're over thinking/worry about this, besides the headspace is really the same regardless of the size of the bottle, you'd just as easily run the risk of oxydizing the beer regardless of the size...if this were something to really worry about.

People often bottle in larger bottles to cut down on the amount of bottles, not for anything like this.

22oz.. Cause why have to pop two tops to get nearly the same amount of liquid nectar :)

Personally I think it is a moot issue; but if you're that worried use the oxygen absorbing caps.

Back