12 Beers of Christmas 2022 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm ready to ship whenever. Preferably before my schedule gets hectic again. Do we just direct message addresses?
I will Send out a pm to everyone to send me their address and then I will send a pm to everyone with all the addresses.

Do we have any participants this year shipping/receiving together?

Definitely looking forward to trying everyone’s beers! I think the last time I participated we did East and west and there were at least a few beers the way group didn’t get. Hoping for 100% participation this time around.

Just as an update, the Juniper Rye Bock is just hanging out in the fermenter. I plan to bottle before the month is over to give the bottles plenty of time to condition. My numbers were hit perfectly on brew day so as long as the yeasties do their job we should have a nice 8% beer.

I'd love to participate in next year's batch, and it seems like each year someone kind of just steps in to initiate the organization, so I'm hoping I catch it in time whenever it's posted. Is there a better way to get notified of when the next round starts, or should I just plan to check the New Posts around Dec/ Jan pretty regularly?

I.... don't know about mine. It has a smokey flavor from the brewing incident. It's not repulsive, but I'm also not sure that it's actually good. I'll probably have one or two friends give it a taste to see what they think. I almost just dumped it, but figured it didn't hurt to toss it in a keg and see what it tastes like with some carbonation.

I guess I'll leave how to proceed up to the group. The choices I see are:
  • I bow out and everyone saves the cost of shipping beer to me
  • I send out what I have anyway, even though it's definitely not right and not something I'm at all proud of
  • We can freestyle a little bit. I'll be brewing my winter British strong ale (Hoarfrost). I can send out the cans of the smokey version of the spiced dunkel weizenbock fully expecting most people to take a sip or two and dump the rest, and also include some of Hoarfrost as well. It's totally off style and a wildcard out of left field, but it is an option

@BAF - I vote you just do whatever you want. It's meant to be fun. If bowing out is easiest/best option for you, no worries. If you want to send the Hoarfrost, that would fine with me. The Spiced Dunkle Weizen and Gruit are the same base recipe anyway.

I’m all for trying the beer you planned and the provisional that you might include, but agree it’s completely up to you. I was planning on tossing in a beer or 2 that I’ve got canned in the fridge as a holiday bonus (assume that’s allowed). I doubt anyone would turn away an extra beer or two.

I.... don't know about mine. It has a smokey flavor from the brewing incident. It's not repulsive, but I'm also not sure that it's actually good. I'll probably have one or two friends give it a taste to see what they think. I almost just dumped it, but figured it didn't hurt to toss it in a keg and see what it tastes like with some carbonation.

I guess I'll leave how to proceed up to the group. The choices I see are:
  • I bow out and everyone saves the cost of shipping beer to me
  • I send out what I have anyway, even though it's definitely not right and not something I'm at all proud of
  • We can freestyle a little bit. I'll be brewing my winter British strong ale (Hoarfrost). I can send out the cans of the smokey version of the spiced dunkel weizenbock fully expecting most people to take a sip or two and dump the rest, and also include some of Hoarfrost as well. It's totally off style and a wildcard out of left field, but it is an option
I’d say stay in it and send both beers to try. I also think I brewed the Spiced Dunkelweizen last year and have some in the cellar. I will check and if I do I will send 1 to everyone although I’m not sure how well it ages.

Just move the Spiced Stout to a keg. It spent 11 months in a bourbon barrel, its’s just over 1 year old at this point. Blended with a slightly younger stout and some spiced bourbon. Should come in about 8%.
C2B0FB82-FD5F-47AD-AEE7-6E424DD948B2.jpeg

So are you guys kegging and then bottling/canning from the keg?

I have a counter-pressure bottle filler, but it didn't occur to me to bottle all 40 bottles that way. I just bottle conditioned the gruit. Sorry in advance for the bottle residue (please let it sit in fridge a few days).

I have a counter-pressure bottle filler, but it didn't occur to me to bottle all 40 bottles that way. I just bottle conditioned the gruit. Sorry in advance for the bottle residue (please let it sit in fridge a few days).
I’m bottle conditioning.

I don't believe anyone will be upset by bottle conditioned beer. I'm not really set up great for bottling kegged beer, so with this amount I'm definitely bottle conditioning.

Tasted the first pull from the spiced stout keg. Still needs a week of carbonation, but it’s got all the flavors I expected based on the write-up. I think they need to sit down at the same table and play a couple of rounds together, but at least they are all there.

Tasted the first pull from the spiced stout keg. Still needs a week of carbonation, but it’s got all the flavors I expected based on the write-up. I think they need to sit down at the same table and play a couple of rounds together, but at least they are all there.

I just toasted, milled, and boiled the spices for a corned beef I'm getting ready to cure. And, I'm drinking a HB stout while doing it.

Hockey intermission and I read your post and think that a corned stout might just be the thing (minus the pink salt haha).

i’ve kegged and counter pressure filled bottles before with mixed results. So I just bottle condition for this trade because I seem to get the desired result across the batch.

I read the linked info on packaging and shipping. But does anyone have a recommended box size (or source) from pervious years? I'm good on bubble wrap and bags. Just wondering if there is a "best" box option.

I read the linked info on packaging and shipping. But does anyone have a recommended box size (or source) from pervious years? I'm good on bubble wrap and bags. Just wondering if there is a "best" box option.

Best is subjective. I use USPS Medium (The tall and thin medium) Flate rate boxes as I tend to favor the USPS due mainly to availability in my small town.

OK, packaged the Gruit this weekend. None of the packages rattle, but a couple "glug" if you listen real close. =c)

Followed all the instructions from the "packaging" post. The only thing I would add, is that I found it easier to just double wrap in the bubble wrap. It helps fill up empty space even easier than packing material, and is faster.

Quick question – I have "fragile please handle with care" stickers, should I put those on the boxes, or is that a bit too much of a tell? (I plan to send UPS, to the extent that matters).

Last edited:
I think using the stickers is fine… friend of mine used to right “Christmas Ornaments” on the outside…

I like that someone in the packaging post (I think that’s where I read it) writes “Live Yeast Cultures” on the outside of the box.

Update on the Gingerbread brown - it’s kegged and aging. Had a sample of it this weekend and the spices still come through pretty strong - hoping they mellow a bit. Planning can and ship the week of thanksgiving since I’m off that week.

Bottled the honey ginger ipa tonight. Forgot how much I hate bottling. 5 beer job. Had a sample, sweetness from the honey and boozy.

Now I just need to come up with a label. I apologize, my label game will probably be lame this year but I blame the wife for dropping the ball. 😉

80E9DCF6-AD27-4EE7-A789-802661A55730.jpeg

Alright. The Gruit is En Route!

I tried sending everyone a direct message with your tracking number, but apparently the site throttles how many unsolicited DM's you can send within a set time (probably good idea).

So if you want your tracking number, just send a DM to me.

Also, UPS is having a holiday shipping sale (code: DELIVER). It saved me like 25-30%.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, in the interest of full transparency, I just wanted to let everyone know that I’ll be shipping out Monday.

We had already planned on traveling for Thanksgiving and I had prepared for that in regards to shipping my beer out. What we didn’t prepare for was a sudden opportunity to travel a day earlier than expected.

No worries though as I ship USPS Priority so everyone should still receive theirs within a couple days of shipping.

Sorry for the absence. Oct was super busy with 80-90 hour weeks routine. Plus I didn’t get the “new reply to watched thread” emails.

Received the gruit today. One had leaked a bit but no worries.

I’m bottling my tonight and will ship probably the end of next week. It may need a few more days of conditioning one you receive it.

Looking forward to trying all of these.

@GoodTimeCharlie - Very sorry. I double or triple pressed every cap (wing capper), and they didn't leak while in fridge or during packaging. I hope the freezer bag did it's job.

Since they started arriving today, I decided to try one of the ones remaining in my fridge. Still tastes good, but the juniper has really faded. Actually, a lot of herbs have faded. Many people would probably prefer it now to a month ago (even my non-beer-drinking wife liked it), but it is not the crazy-taste-outlier as much now. It kind of dances somewhere between dark wheat and saison.

Anyway, I hope they make it to everyone in good shape. Sorry for the leaker.

Attachments

• F93A13E8-A4CA-42D3-A0AC-97CDEB3E7EF8.jpeg
    F93A13E8-A4CA-42D3-A0AC-97CDEB3E7EF8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
@GoodTruble No worries at all. The one bottle had maybe an ounce or two missing. Still looked carbonated. I’m guessing it occurred in handling probably just before delivery. It’s in the fridge and I’m going to have it later tonight.

The ziplock bag trapped some. The box trapped the remaining. Box was still sound.

Latest posts

Back