12 Beers of Christmas 2022 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jerbrew

Beer Drinker Extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If we get a full list to ship, that will be a first I think at HBT. And if that happens, I will be sending out something special and commemorative. I know I know, I shipped super late last year, and I shipped a different beer the year before. But I shipped a Christmas beer and I’m brewing this one as a first draft next weekend. I’m pretty excited about it. My master’s is over as of this week and I have my life back until August to brew some beer.

Reaction score
If we get a full list to ship, that will be a first I think at HBT. And if that happens, I will be sending out something special and commemorative. I know I know, I shipped super late last year, and I shipped a different beer the year before. But I shipped a Christmas beer and I’m brewing this one as a first draft next weekend. I’m pretty excited about it. My master’s is over as of this week and I have my life back until August to brew some beer.
Congrats on the MA!

CaddyWampus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I sort of have a 2 parter here.

First: for anyone watching the thread that has done the Juniper Rye Bock are the juniper berries part of the IBU calculation or do IBUs come solely from the hops?

Second: Since we are all home brewers here and experimenting should can be expected to a degree, would anyone mind if I took this beer the braggot route? I’m really thinking the juniper and rye would play well with an earthy variety of honey like avocado blossom or buckwheat. Feel free to let me know your thoughts.

jerbrew

Beer Drinker Extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I sort of have a 2 parter here.

First: for anyone watching the thread that has done the Juniper Rye Bock are the juniper berries part of the IBU calculation or do IBUs come solely from the hops?

Second: Since we are all home brewers here and experimenting should can be expected to a degree, would anyone mind if I took this beer the braggot route? I’m really thinking the juniper and rye would play well with an earthy variety of honey like avocado blossom or buckwheat. Feel free to let me know your thoughts.

When I did the Juniper Rye Bock, I didn't get any additional bitterness from the Juniper berries. A whole lot of flavor, unique flavor, but no bitterness to speak of

On your second question. I don't think anyone would mind some experimentation. Mosher's whole premise of the 12 beers of Christmas is to think outside of what is a Christmas beer and explore the possibilities. SO my vote is go for it and I can't wait to try it.

CaddyWampus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I did the Juniper Rye Bock, I didn't get any additional bitterness from the Juniper berries. A whole lot of flavor, unique flavor, but no bitterness to speak of

On your second question. I don't think anyone would mind some experimentation. Mosher's whole premise of the 12 beers of Christmas is to think outside of what is a Christmas beer and explore the possibilities. SO my vote is go for it and I can't wait to try it.

Thanks!

I am going to the LHBS Monday to get ingredients for a trial run. I’m going to split a 2 gallon batch with different honeys to see how they work.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering Wyeast Forbidden Fruit yeast for the Gruit.

Also considering Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison). Thoughts?

CaddyWampus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering Wyeast Forbidden Fruit yeast for the Gruit.

Also considering Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison). Thoughts?

As a fan of experimentation, I think that Forbidden Fruit sounds interesting!