11g batch in a 7g pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorBoy

All Around Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back with another newbie question. Turns out, I'm going to have two empty primaries, and not another brew day for a bit, disrupting my pipeline. I'm thinking of just (mostly) doubling my recipe and topping up to OG in the better bottles. Will this work?

6# 2-row
1.5# CaraAmber
1# Chocolate
1# Crystal 60
.25# Roasted Barley
12.5# Amber DMe
1.5# Brown Sugar

2 oz Warrior @60
2 oz Vangaurd @flameout

2 packets of wyeast ringwood (1187)

Is this an existing recipe that you are doubling or is it one you designed?

You could certainly divide the recipe in half and do two seperate boils, that's how the commercial guys get their large batches done.

I'm guessing you are doing a partial mash with the 2-row. If possible I would only do one mash using the 2 row and all the specialty grains, just split the resulting wort into the 2 batches

I'm guessing you are doing a partial mash with the 2-row. If possible I would only do one mash using the 2 row and all the specialty grains, just split the resulting wort into the 2 batches

yeah, that's the idea. it was originally a biab, but with limited time, i was just going to double it in the one pot, splitting the wort into two primaries and topping up to 5.5g.
because i'm using a 30qt pot, i'm substituting a ton of 2 row for dme.

so, it'll work?

Back with another newbie question. Turns out, I'm going to have two empty primaries, and not another brew day for a bit, disrupting my pipeline. I'm thinking of just (mostly) doubling my recipe and topping up to OG in the better bottles. Will this work?
It will totally work. I do 6 gallon partial mash and extract batches in a 3 gallon pot with great results. I only use enough extract in the main boil to bring the BG up to approximate OG of the beer (no need for any adjustments for hops utillisation with this approach). Then I use a second pot to disolve and boil the remaining extract (just a short boil to sanitise). I have my second pot cooling while the main boil is still on the go. Then mix them in the fermenter when done and top up with water as needed to get to the recipe volume.

of course, the very next day i find a 15g basspro pot on Craigslist for $50.

but i can pass on what i've learned! thanks err'body!

Back