113% effiency after 5 days?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddyk

Reaction score
Been trolling the forum for a little while prior to brewing for the first time, i really do appreciate all the info and experience on here.

I am doing my first brew ever ( noble trappist extract from midwest)

Here are my questions / experiences:

Boiled off the wort in a 30qt aluminum pot, seemed to work well. Followed recipe for steeping grains and hop additions. Cooled the wort off in 10 min using an immersion chiller and strained the wort into the sanitized primary, took a sample and added the wyeast high gravity trappist. Og 1.061

Fermentation was vigorous for 3 days. Ambient temp was in the sixties, primary temp was reading 72 at one point. Bubbles died out, i got impatient and bored so i racked it to the secondary and took a reading. 1.01. Beer tasted and looks awesome. Planning on leaving in the secondary for a week or two then off to bottles for another couple weeks.

Where does my first brew stack up? Im using brewpal on the iphone and its telling me 113% effiency, that cant be right....

Am i reading this hydrometer wrong? What can i expect from this point forward with the rest of the fermentation / conditioning process?

Thanks in advance.

There is no efficiency for extract brews. That value is for all grain.

Otherwise everything sounds fine. Your plan to wait a few weeks before bottling sounds good.

Temp reaching 72F for a little while is probably not an issue.

Good luck.

I also have brewpal. I put the recipe in and got expected OG of 1.052. Did you top off with water to get 5 gallons after boiling? Your OG makes me think you have less than 5 gallons of beer. Brewpal assumes you topped off. The higher OG reading is why you got the 115% efficiency. I guess efficiency for extract should be close to 100% (all available sugar is actually in the beer and the volume is correct).

If you did top off maybe your hydrometer reads high or you made temperature correction wrong.

Still if the OG is high the beer may not match the exact intent of the recipe but it sounds like it will still be good.

Your abv is 6.6%.+1 with the water topp of and getting a false og. If you topped off and reached your exact volume it should be close with extract.
Did you do a full boil? Did you account for the evaporation in the boil?

I did a full boil and tried to factor in evaporation but i came in just under the 5 gallon mark. I grabbed brewpal after i boiled, next time ill follow the measurements from brewpal. Can i expect any more gravity changes over the next few weeks? Its in a glass carbouy now, do i continue to take samples to test or wait until i bottle?

I did a full boil and tried to factor in evaporation but i came in just under the 5 gallon mark. I grabbed brewpal after i boiled, next time ill follow the measurements from brewpal. Can i expect any more gravity changes over the next few weeks? Its in a glass carbouy now, do i continue to take samples to test or wait until i bottle?

If it's still at 1.010 when you want to bottle, then it's fine!

Make shure your hydrometer is correct also,and your reading your hydro right.
To make shure your hydro is right you use distilled water at around 60 deg and make shure its reading 1.0.

Back