110 gallons of mead in Applejack barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I posted a few months ago that my brew club bought some 400+ pounds of wildflower honey and made a lot of mead. This week we finally transfered 110 gallons of fermented mead into two Laird's Applejack barrels where we'll let it age in cellars until next Summer. This was a very cool project that makes being a member of a brew club really worth it. I have dibs on 5 gallons of the end product. Hope to have some pics soon. I didn't bring my camera but I know others did.

Just to wrap this project up; It's been 13 months, 12 of which has been aging in an oak Applejack brandy barrel. I just picked up my 5 gallon share and it is wonderful. It finished up at about 15% ABV but it's not hot at all. Look at this beaut before I keg it.

barrelmead08.jpg

And to make sure I stay in the mead, here's 15 pound of Basswood:

basswoodhoney08.jpg

I'm rationalizing a keg for this batch for a few reasons. The first is that I want to carb it a touch and I don't want to mess with repitching yeast and potentially making it hazy. I also won't have to dedicate a kegger position since the colder weather is coming up and the garage will sit at about 50F. Finally, I hate bottling.

Now that I've got a conical, I've got four carboys I'll never use again. Maybe I should try making some mead. That mead of yours sure is pretty, Bobby.

Texas. But I haven't decided to sell them yet. They'd be perfect for the long term conditioning you need for mead.

I posted a few months ago that my brew club bought some 400+ pounds of wildflower honey and made a lot of mead. This week we finally transfered 110 gallons of fermented mead into two Laird's Applejack barrels where we'll let it age in cellars until next Summer. This was a very cool project that makes being a member of a brew club really worth it. I have dibs on 5 gallons of the end product. Hope to have some pics soon. I didn't bring my camera but I know others did.

Hi Bobby_M: "Cool" just doesn't even begin to express the coolness of this project, my highschool English teacher is rolling in her grave now for my use of such terminology, but damn! I would say that you & your fellow club members are rather lucky, but you MADE it happen, luck had nothing to do with it; which makes it even cooler... There she goes, spinning again <LOL> Nice work! Regards to you & your fellow club members, GF. :mug:

Very nice Bobby! Do you have a 3 gallon Corny? I ask because I think it would be cool to bottle at least a couple gallons. Even if it didn't carb, I think a mead with the complexity that this probably has from the barrel would be very good still and would age extremely well. Maybe try and find some 6oz. bottles. I bottled a Melomel in those a few years ago and they are the perfect size for something like this.

EDIT: I had to come back and say "Damn that looks good!"

I don't know how much the applejack contributed because I'm not all the familiar with meads or applejack. I do pickup just a hint of a hard cider apple note but with nearly 16% ABV, it's really hard to tell.

I bottled 4 22oz bombers and 8 12ozer for long term aging or remote sharing but the rest is in the keg under 4psi right now (warm). I like being able to take a 2oz pour for a slow sipping. I have a 3 gallon corny but I didn't have time to bottle 2 gallons at the time so I don't mind using a five.

We took a growler's worth to the last club meeting and based on the tasting, the next 110 gallon mead project sold out that same night. I think it's going to be mostly basswood honey with a little Jananese knotwood (bamboo) to add complexity and color. I didn't get in on that one because I have a few other mead batches planned personally.

That looks absolutely amazing. What a worthwhile project to pull off. Every time I come on here to browse I get more desperate to get started myself.

We did 55 gallons of stout into a bourbon barrel straight from the distillery. Still the best beer I've ever had. Homebrew clubs really do help out in certain cases.

home brew club or not, that's one hell of a lot of mead.

Well done, VVV impressed (and a little jealous)

regards

fatbloke

Latest posts

Back