100% wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaefathan

Reaction score
Hi, I've heard that too much wheat can lead to a stuck sparge. Has anyone tried a 100% white wheat beer? For 10 lbs of grain should I just get 1lb or more of rice hulls? Do I need a bag, like for brew-in-a-bag? Thanks

Yup do BIAB. Can't really get a stuck sparge with that just takes longer to drain.

I have done a 100% wheat it was 10lbs of white wheat that I smoked with oak. I used a half of a pound of rice hulls and had no issues sparging.

I've done 3 different 100 percent wheat beers, and one with wheat as the base malt with some rye and oats. BIAB for all of them, though I'm sure it can technically be done with traditional systems if you prepare for it. Makes a tasty and unique beer that most commercial breweries don't even attempt.

I just brewed with a buddy and wanted to try this. I like really wheaty beers with the banana and bubble gum flavor. We did a 60/40 wheat to pilsner mix though. Those of you that have done 100% wheat what does the end result taste like?

I've done 3 different 100 percent wheat beers, and one with wheat as the base malt with some rye and oats. BIAB for all of them, though I'm sure it can technically be done with traditional systems if you prepare for it. Makes a tasty and unique beer that most commercial breweries don't even attempt.

What kind of yeast do you use? I was looking at Wyeast 3333, or 3638. I want to play around with some hefe-ish beers fermented at different temps. Also I want to top crop and see how long I can keep one pitch going.

I just brewed with a buddy and wanted to try this. I like really wheaty beers with the banana and bubble gum flavor. We did a 60/40 wheat to pilsner mix though. Those of you that have done 100% wheat what does the end result taste like?

Hard to describe. Wheaty. The difference between a 100 percent wheat beer and a high percentage wheat beer with neutral barley malt would be pretty subtle, I'd imagine. There's a pleasant grainy flavor and while I've only done really dry beers with 100 percent wheat, the body and mouthfeel are quite smooth. It'd probably be a good experiment to compare a beer made with 50/50 barley and wheat and a 100 percent wheat beer.

What kind of yeast do you use? I was looking at Wyeast 3333, or 3638. I want to play around with some hefe-ish beers fermented at different temps. Also I want to top crop and see how long I can keep one pitch going.

It was a bit of a mix. The first was a pretty straightforward American Wheat with US-05, second was a Ginger Wheat with US-05, third was a hoppy Saison with Belle Saison, and the last was a saison with WY3711. Not a huge hefe fan, so I stayed away from hefe yeast.

Hard to describe. Wheaty. The difference between a 100 percent wheat beer and a high percentage wheat beer with neutral barley malt would be pretty subtle, I'd imagine. There's a pleasant grainy flavor and while I've only done really dry beers with 100 percent wheat, the body and mouthfeel are quite smooth. It'd probably be a good experiment to compare a beer made with 50/50 barley and wheat and a 100 percent wheat beer.

Might have to try this for our next brew day!

Well thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna try a SMASH with Idaho 7 (007 hops) and white wheat. I'm not sure what yeast yet, probably something clean and something belgian. I'll update when I have some samples.

Back