100% Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetrarch

Reaction score
Hi,
First post, I brewed an 100% Brett using WLP645 B. Claussennii that I bottled a while ago. The beer is "sick" with a viscous oily consistency but it tastes ok. I thought this is caused by pedio and not brett. Can anyone shed light on this?
Is it possible to propagate the pedio using a starter?

Regards,
Con.

As far as I know, people usually say ropy for pedio, not oily.

If you took a sample there would be no way to be sure you were only propagating what might be pedio. If you want to build a colony of pedio, I'd buy a pack and start there.

According to Milk The Funk:

Typical characteristics of Brett primary fermentations (these are generalizations, and may not be true for every strain):
A lack of glycerol, which is a compound that Saccharomyces produces which gives beer it's slick mouthfeel. Malts such as oats or flaked wheat are often used to make up for the lack of glycerol.

So what you are describing is a characteristic of a non-brett beer, actually. Did you use a lot of oats/wheat?

Milk the Funk also says that White Labs brett pitches are known to be contaminated with sach. So it is very possible that the problem you are having is actually not due to brett at all.

Another possibility is an infection/contamination (a wild yeast/bacteria that accidentally got in there), or diacetyl.

Latest posts

Back