10% or more beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
I want to make a beer with at least 10% ABV. The microbrewery near me makes one and you cant really even tell it has all that alchohol in it. Just wondering if anyone has a good recipe (extract only pls). Maybe a double IPA or something.

I formulated a barleywine on brewsmith that I was able to get up to about 11.5%. Unfortunately it is on my computer at home so I can't get the exacts until tomorrow. But the basic jist of it was 12 # pale DME, 3 # honey, and 1.5 # dextrose. I can't remember the exact numbers on the hops, but it was unreal....like 6oz. I believe for specialty grains I used carapils for head retention and some crystal 60L for just a bit of color. Unfortunately I can't vouge for it because I am in the planning stages as well, I took the nuts and bolts from several recipes I saw and played around with it on brewsmith to see what I came up with. If you are interested let me know and I will dig up the specifics tomorrow.

Lots of recipes out there in that range. IPAs are my favorite, and I've done a few of them lately.

Problem I've been having is getting my FG to where I need it... no matter how long I leave in the primary or secondary.

I made BJs millenium ale and after 4 weeks It only got to 1.040 ... yikes. I'm probably going to re-pitch and hope it gets to an accpetable level. Right now its got a lot of ginger flavor as well... I hope it mellows out.

joutlaw said:
Lots of recipes out there in that range. IPAs are my favorite, and I've done a few of them lately.

Problem I've been having is getting my FG to where I need it... no matter how long I leave in the primary or secondary.

I made BJs millenium ale and after 4 weeks It only got to 1.040 ... yikes. I'm probably going to re-pitch and hope it gets to an accpetable level. Right now its got a lot of ginger flavor as well... I hope it mellows out.

Suggestion: when you repitch, use champagne yeast and make a starter so it's not shocked upon pitching.

Back