10% off at Hops Direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on kind of a side note, anyone know what crystal hops are good for? i plan on brewing a lot of highly hopped beers here soon......

might have to hit up wilser bags(SP?) for a bag big enough! lol

on kind of a side note, anyone know what crystal hops are good for? i plan on brewing a lot of highly hopped beers here soon......

might have to hit up wilser bags(SP?) for a bag big enough! lol
They are one of the 7 "C's hops"
I made a fresh wet-hop pale ale (with an English yeast) for my first year batch of home grown Crystal. It was easy drinking- made for good gifts. Hoppy but not crazy.

I pulled the below from morebeer. Sounds like you can do a LOT with crystal!!

A very clean aroma hop that produces a mild, floral and spicy aroma. Due to it being mild and clean, this hop variety can be used in a variety of beer styles, including: Lagers, Kolsch, ESB, Pilsners, Pale Ales, IPAs, and Belgian Ales.

probably should have looked at the other options....beersmith says they are around 3.5% AA, and these are from 2017....but hell at 6 cents an ounce?

anybody ever try to dry hop a 10 gallon batch with a whole pound of hops before? ;)

damn, last time i bought hops it was $60 for 4lbs of bravo.......that was back in january, and i'm still going through them....once again :mug: to @Carolina_Matt

i have no idea what i'll do with 44lbs of hops!

WTF?? NO UK hops at all with them. Good thing I still have just over 3# of EKG in the freezer. Next two batches will use almost a pound in the boil by themselves. Plus more if I decide to dry hop in fermenter. Which I'll probably end up doing. So there goes another 4-8oz of hops. I'll probably have used up all the EKG by either end of this year, or not long after. Hell, I might be danger low before Thanksgiving. There's a few recipes that I need to keep on tap/available no matter the time of the year due to how much people like it. I know, such a problem to have. ;)

WTF?? NO UK hops at all with them. Good thing I still have just over 3# of EKG in the freezer. Next two batches will use almost a pound in the boil by themselves. Plus more if I decide to dry hop in fermenter. Which I'll probably end up doing. So there goes another 4-8oz of hops. I'll probably have used up all the EKG by either end of this year, or not long after. Hell, I might be danger low before Thanksgiving. There's a few recipes that I need to keep on tap/available no matter the time of the year due to how much people like it. I know, such a problem to have. ;)

i guess my innocence is ruined, when i only used 1.5oz for 60min a 10 gallon batch! perverts! lol

i guess my innocence is ruined, when i only used 1.5oz for 60min a 10 gallon batch! perverts! lol
Heathen!!
My English IPA (hop bursting, with whirlpool) uses 10oz by itself for a 9 gallon finished volume batch. Before I started doing the whirlpool method (used a hop spider) that was about 16oz of hops.

See I'm saving money, on hops, with the new kettles I bought. ;)

well i just bought 44lbs of crystal hops....LOL should keep me in hops for a few months....cost $43.53 for shipping......$1 a pound ain't bad! thanks for the tip!

Well, its time to divide them up and use a vacuum sealer.

When I would buy up a larger amount, I would divide them up into roughly a pound, and put in slip of paper, with what kind and the AA% and then seal them up, so that there wasn't a sticker that could peel off at some time in the future. One time I bough the snack size ziplocks, and put in four ounces, how much I would normally use, then seal up as many as I could get into a vacuum bag, so that I had enough for a batch in each baggie.

Back