10% off at Hops Direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Carolina_Matt

Reaction score

Hops Direct has 10% off all orders plus free hops with each order. Code is 'hopsforpops'.

I noticed they also had a few 2017 hops for free (although you have to pay for shipping). If you sort by lowest price, you'll see several varieties for free.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
on kind of a side note, anyone know what crystal hops are good for? i plan on brewing a lot of highly hopped beers here soon......

might have to hit up wilser bags(SP?) for a bag big enough! lol

Nate R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
on kind of a side note, anyone know what crystal hops are good for? i plan on brewing a lot of highly hopped beers here soon......

might have to hit up wilser bags(SP?) for a bag big enough! lol
They are one of the 7 "C's hops"
I made a fresh wet-hop pale ale (with an English yeast) for my first year batch of home grown Crystal. It was easy drinking- made for good gifts. Hoppy but not crazy.

I pulled the below from morebeer. Sounds like you can do a LOT with crystal!!

A very clean aroma hop that produces a mild, floral and spicy aroma. Due to it being mild and clean, this hop variety can be used in a variety of beer styles, including: Lagers, Kolsch, ESB, Pilsners, Pale Ales, IPAs, and Belgian Ales.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
probably should have looked at the other options....beersmith says they are around 3.5% AA, and these are from 2017....but hell at 6 cents an ounce?

anybody ever try to dry hop a 10 gallon batch with a whole pound of hops before? ;)

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
damn, last time i bought hops it was $60 for 4lbs of bravo.......that was back in january, and i'm still going through them....once again :mug: to @Carolina_Matt

i have no idea what i'll do with 44lbs of hops!

Golddiggie

Reaction score
WTF?? NO UK hops at all with them. Good thing I still have just over 3# of EKG in the freezer. Next two batches will use almost a pound in the boil by themselves. Plus more if I decide to dry hop in fermenter. Which I'll probably end up doing. So there goes another 4-8oz of hops. I'll probably have used up all the EKG by either end of this year, or not long after. Hell, I might be danger low before Thanksgiving. There's a few recipes that I need to keep on tap/available no matter the time of the year due to how much people like it. I know, such a problem to have. ;)

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
WTF?? NO UK hops at all with them. Good thing I still have just over 3# of EKG in the freezer. Next two batches will use almost a pound in the boil by themselves. Plus more if I decide to dry hop in fermenter. Which I'll probably end up doing. So there goes another 4-8oz of hops. I'll probably have used up all the EKG by either end of this year, or not long after. Hell, I might be danger low before Thanksgiving. There's a few recipes that I need to keep on tap/available no matter the time of the year due to how much people like it. I know, such a problem to have. ;)

i guess my innocence is ruined, when i only used 1.5oz for 60min a 10 gallon batch! perverts! lol

Golddiggie

Reaction score
i guess my innocence is ruined, when i only used 1.5oz for 60min a 10 gallon batch! perverts! lol
Heathen!!
My English IPA (hop bursting, with whirlpool) uses 10oz by itself for a 9 gallon finished volume batch. Before I started doing the whirlpool method (used a hop spider) that was about 16oz of hops.

See I'm saving money, on hops, with the new kettles I bought. ;)

Dr_Jeff

Reaction score
well i just bought 44lbs of crystal hops....LOL should keep me in hops for a few months....cost $43.53 for shipping......$1 a pound ain't bad! thanks for the tip!
Well, its time to divide them up and use a vacuum sealer.

When I would buy up a larger amount, I would divide them up into roughly a pound, and put in slip of paper, with what kind and the AA% and then seal them up, so that there wasn't a sticker that could peel off at some time in the future. One time I bough the snack size ziplocks, and put in four ounces, how much I would normally use, then seal up as many as I could get into a vacuum bag, so that I had enough for a batch in each baggie.