10 gallon SS commercial vs. keggle. Please help me decide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
OK, so I was all set to buy a 10 gallon SS kettle from my LHBS when they sold out of them. While I'm waiting for a re-stock, I noticed somebody selling a keggle locally. Now, I know all the ins and outs of the ethics involved, but this particular keggle already has its main hole cut out so it's no good to anybody anymore but a brewer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here's a pic. Anything I should be concerned about? Any knocks on keggles for smaller batches? Looks like the mouth is larger than most...

keggle.jpg

Looks good to me... It will give you the option to brew bigger batches as well. Better to have more room than not enough.

Ya, we have a brew shop every 15 miles. Its a nice sunny 65 degrees outside now too. Great day for brewing.

Good choice. Now you can do fittings or the less popular cheapo route of cutting part of the rim so you pour out the top.

I've found the lip at the top of the keggle is great for helping to keep a very full pot with a proper rolling boil. Without the lip, the container can not be filled as full. I dare suggest the lip helps to better prevent boil-overs.

10 gallon, expensive pot vs. 15.5 gallon, cheap keggle...what's the issue?

Well, when you put it like that... :D

Just making sure the wide mouth on this guy won't present any kind of problem, I guess, and also trying to cover my bases in case I didn't search enough :eek:

Well, when you put it like that... :D

Just making sure the wide mouth on this guy won't present any kind of problem, I guess, and also trying to cover my bases in case I didn't search enough :eek:

I wouldn't consider the mouth on keggles to be wide....I think they're just right. I'm currently using 20g megapots that are 21" across, now that's wide. 22% boiloff FTW.

I used keggles for a long time and liked them. I went with SS pots on my new brewstand just to have a really clean look.

(for the record, I like my megapots and highly recommended them)

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually talking about the fact that the mouth on this particular keggle looked wider than how most are cut, based on the pics I've seen around here.

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually talking about the fact that the mouth on this particular keggle looked wider than how most are cut, based on the pics I've seen around here.

It does seem to be cut a little wider than most converted kegs, but I wouldnt worry too much about that at this point. You will be able to brew 12 gal. instead of 8.5 or 9 gal with the 10 gal stockpot, depending on vigour of boil.
I would just go for it. I recently converted a 1/2 barrel sanke to a kettle and could not be happier with the results.

Latest posts

Back