10-gallon corny kegs for under $100

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the posts are the same for 5 or 10 gallon kegs. I don't think these will work. the firestone VI has different sized posts.

There is a link off of your url. The Firestones have different threads for gas/liquid. http://www.cornykeg.com/resources/corny-keg-tips/identify-keg/

Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super Challenger:
Gas 9/16” – 18 Liquid 5/8” – 18
I can second that the firestone VI has different sized posts.. Bert at Niagara Traditions was able to help me out with some used ones but I found that the Chi company seemed to be the only place I could find more, as well as the gas tubes and seals,poppets , ect

EDIT I see someone above me already linked them.

Perfect. Thank you both. I still needed to order the posts for my Challenger VI and looks like the Chi Company is exactly right.

One of my LHBS also has quite an extensive keg parts supply too (Siciliano's in MI). I'll likely bring my 10 gallon in, verify they have the posts, and compare prices. Glad to have that link as a guarantee though. Thanks again.

If anyone is looking for a 10 gallon keg, you should check out the link to one on eBay. (Full disclaimer: I am not involved in anyway with the sale or seller):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161953339237

Listed at $153 (before shipping) with the option to make a lower offer. Start low - you have 3 offers to make.

If anyone is looking for a 10 gallon keg, you should check out the link to one on eBay. (Full disclaimer: I am not involved in anyway with the sale or seller):

Listed at $153 (before shipping) with the option to make a lower offer. Start low - you have 3 offers to make.

I found my 5 10 gallon firestone kegs on Craigslist for $20 each... the deals are out there you just have to be in the right place at the right time (or use the right search terms) ;)

ad has me beat. I just checked my ebay history and exactly 1 year + 1 day ago, I got mine for $55.

Yea I can't believe what people are willing to pay for these things.. I have about 10 of them at this point all of which purchased in the last 2 years and never paid more than 70 for one. I actually picked up 2 more off craigslist today for 50 each.. call it luck but I find them on craigslist every couple months, not necessarily local.. I have bought them in 4 different states.. if you search they are around.

Bump..............

Well, looks like patience really is a virtue. Almost a year after my last reply in this thread I found this 15 gallon corny at one of the breweries during a club meeting. The owner let it go for $100.

20170419_161239_zpsbxhfeygc.jpg

I may pick up a second one toward the end of the month if he still has them. The only downside is they are pretty tall. I'll have to redo my keezer lid so they can fit, but I planned on doing that anyways as I plan on changing up my tap tower.

I can "only" do 10 gallon batches on my setup, but could I do partial boils for 15G batches? I thought about doing that like back in the day when I was a newb. Instead of topping up one fermenter for 5G, I'd top up three for 15G.

Sure, I could use the big corny as the fermenter, then rack to 3 5G kegs, but three 5G kegs would take up more space in the keezer than the single 15G. If I can get the second big corny, I may make that into a fermenter for 10-15 gallon batches.

I used to have 2 15g cornies I got both for free believe it or not.. they were awesome, I actually used them as fermenters in an upright freezer. Ended up selling them to fund my conicals.. great score at that price. I think I sold mine in the neighborhood of 200 each..

For anyone looking in portland area check craigslist there is a seller with several 10 gallon cornies for $80 each. Unfortunately they wont ship. I tried.

Just thought I'd put this warning out about CHI Company as I saw a recommendation on this thread for keg parts. They do have some key replacement parts for the old 10 gallon kegs and the order arrived promptly.

The downside is that the order came through with one wrong part and fraudulent charges were made to my credit card hours after placing the order. I've not placed an order from a new company to me in about 6 months with that card so I suspect the breach was with CHI Company. When I tried to email them, it bounces back as undeliverable. Beware.

I just came across this thread - way too late. I found two 10g Cornies on CL for $50 each a few years ago, and keep hoping to find more. One more place to watch.

I got an "eye wash station" that was being thrown out from a work project I was on. Same as the ebay post, new looking. I replaced the gas/beer ends and gaskets, all told less than 20 bucks into this 10 gallon keg. What a find! I tried to get more but that was the only one.

I can't believe this guy still has this listed, 3 years later!

These things are still popping up on EBay occasionally.

I just bought 2 for $50 each. When they showed up, they were still in the original boxes. They had never even been used. The manufacture dates were 2014.

I've recently been looking for kegs with 'local pickup only' set. People tend to avoid bidding on them because the seller won't ship the item. 90% of the time, if I email the seller, they will agree to ship the item.

These things are still popping up on EBay occasionally.

I just bought 2 for $50 each. When they showed up, they were still in the original boxes. They had never even been used. The manufacture dates were 2014.

I've recently been looking for kegs with 'local pickup only' set. People tend to avoid bidding on them because the seller won't ship the item. 90% of the time, if I email the seller, they will agree to ship the item.
I still have my 5 10 gallon pepsi kegs at home but I cant bring myself to let them go... eventually I will likely sell all my homebrewing stuff but im just not ready.

I'm up to two. I still like fermenting in them, but they're a bit difficult getting one in and out of the chest freezer, which also won't hold both. I can't decide if I want to wrap them in a DIY cooling jacket or put a small coil through the lid (like the Anvil chiller). I know augie is going to tell me to go with the jacket, but there's just something about the coil that seems so enticing.

Last edited:
I'm up to two. I still like fermenting in them, but they're a bit difficult getting one in and out of the chest freezer, which also won't hold both. I can't decide if I want to wrap them in a DYI cooling jacket or put a small coil through the lid (like the Anvil chiller). I know augie is going to tell me to go with the jacket, but there's just something about the coil that seems so enticing.
yeah you know I have both and what I prefer... what about one of these? I have one too and they work well.
http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool-zone-cooling-jacket.html

I've got four or five ten gallon ball lock kegs now.
I really need to sell at least two of them, as I don't have much time to brew any more due to my work situation.
I now work on a remote island in Alaska and live in Alabama. I travel home several times a year, so I really don't get to drink my beer that much either. I'll be home again in March if anyone one would like to buy one. I'd like to get $150 each, but I'm open to fair offers. The buyer will need to pay for shipping and I wouldn't want to be paid until I return home have have them boxed up and ready to ride. They are in good shape. I also have several other items that I could turn loose of as well. I really hope that I don't regret the decision to sell them, but they are sitting in my attic, clean, sanitized and under pressure. Anyone can PM me or post here and I'll try to respond in a timely manner. I had purchased these from other homebrewers over the years. I can try to post pics of them if needed, but I can't promise that I can until I return for sure.

Not sure why but I don't see an option for sending a PM. Send me one if your able, I would be very interested in the 10 gal kegs.

Late to the party, but does anybody have dimensions on these kegs (height/diameter).

Metal strap handle 10g ball lock kegs are typically 12-1/4 inches in diameter by 25 inches tall - without QDs attached.
Might add an inch for QD tubing clearance if kegerator/keezer height is a concern...

Cheers!

Back