10 gallon batches - please check my calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicabeer

Reaction score
10 gallons into 5 gallon corny = 5 gallons to drink flat.

After extensive research and checking calculations, I can not make this work.

As I'm looking to start to put something together, it looks like a lot of people move up to a 10 gallon system. It also seems to be that most people either bottle, or use 5 gallon cornys, and at the 10 gallon, I can't imagine not kegging with 10 gallons. Since you can also use the corny to force carbonate. Win.

Is there such a thing as a 10 gallon bright tank, or a way to use a regular 15.5 Keg?
OR just do it in two cornys and shut up?

I think you have your answer.

Don't listen to him. (Sorry Anna's Dad but there are options)

They make 10G Cornies.
It wouldn't be hard to use a regular sanke. Just fill and tap. The Spears are very easy to take apart to clean and fill the kegs. Then you can pick up a D-Coupler Sanke Tap. You can even put Ball Lock connectors on the standard Sanke Tap inputs and outputs.

2 Cornie's is the easiest though if you have a T for your gas lines and room in your kegerator.

I use a 15 gallon corny for 10-11 gallon batches. I've done the 2 - 5 gallon corny ferments and it was ok, but one fermenter suits me better, no blow off and no need for adding stuff to retard the foam/blow offs.

For a Sanke, as posted above or go fancy with Derrin of Brewers Hardware's fittings. For me it's easier to see into and clean the corny.

Glad everyone is so friendly here.
So basically get twice as many 5 gallons as you think you will need. Unless I find a cheap 10-15 corny, in which case get that.. I am assuming there is no issue then with force carbonating two 5 gallon cornys at the same time off of one Co2 tank.

Samc, you use your corny as a secondary/bright. Not the primary fermentation?

Back