10 gallon batches / high gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
I plan to start BIAB after I move next month. Saving money to buy a bigger pot and propane burner.

I'd like to eventually do 10 gallon batches of high gravity belgian beer (e.g. tripels, 1.080-1010 range).

Is this feasible with BIAB? I should probably get at least a 20 gallon pot just to be safe? Any other suggestions before I get started?

For an O.G of 1.08, you will need something like 36# of grain - keep that in mind and prepare to hoist the wet bag. (1.100 = 48#)

A 20 Gallon kettle will just be big enough for a 10 gallon / 1.080 grain bill. Higher O.G.'s will exceed the capacity of he kettle unless you hold back some water or reduce the volume of wort going into your fermentor.

Remember, buy a 20 gallon pot and a 15 gallon pot. The first is for your primary brew, the second is for the partigyle - this will let you get 15 gallons of beer out of your 50 pounds of grain.

Remember, buy a 20 gallon pot and a 15 gallon pot. The first is for your primary brew, the second is for the partigyle - this will let you get 15 gallons of beer out of your 50 pounds of grain.

I have not heard of trying this with BAIB...is it a reasonable thing to attempt. I do it often with my 3-tier...at least I used to when I still liked big beers.

I like the idea of a partigyle... Hadn't heard of that before.

Will definitely set up a hoist or pulley.

Any tips on increasing efficiency? Double grind grains, 90 min brews, squeeze the bag like it owes me money... Anything else?

Efficiency seems to be mostly dependent on your crush. You don't really need a 90 min mash, or boil, but neither will really hurt anything but your timeline. Go ahead and squeeze but with that setup I would just hoist it up, let it drip, then maybe press it together once it's down draining to get the last bit out.

btw hello fellow michigander!

I've just done a partigyle brew - its still in the fermenter. What I noticed was the amount of water that comes along or parapsychology that the grains are saturated and do not pickup any water. Adding the grain to the second pot raised my water level by about 2 inches, so I will plan accordingly next time. It still gave me a 1.042 SG from a 1.074 primary after adding 1.6 pounds of honey to the second brew.

I'll report back on the taste in about 2 weeks, I'm due to keg this week / weekend.

Back