10 Gallon Batches - Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efreem01

Reaction score
Hey All,

Next month my birthday is coming up. I was thinking of hitting up my gf/parents for the 10 gallon All-Grain Kit from morebeer. I'm just thinking about how to ferment a 10 gallon batch. In the area of fermentation, i've only found that Conical fermenters (>$$$$$) can hold a full 10+ gallons of beer.

I was at my LHBS yesterday and noticed that they have both a 10 and 20 gallon plaster bucket-type fermentor for sale. It basically looks like a small round garbage can with a snap-on lid. Right now i have two 6.5gal carboys.

Is it better to split the 10 gallon batch into two primary carboys, or ferment the whole batch in one of these cheap (~$25) 10 gallon fermenters? I included the link below.

Link

You will need something bigger than a 10 gal to ferment in, more like a 12 or 13, but I think that the popular opinion is to split the batch. By doing that you can also take the same wort and pitch two different yeast strains to see the differences in them if you like.

Cheers

I heard about this guy [email protected] on this forum he sells 15 gal. barrels with lids for $23 which includes shipping.

You would need to add a hole and grommet for an airlock. The barrels are PE they are from europe so it doesn't state if they are HDPE, MDPE or LDPE but they look like HDPE to me. The tops have a seal and the barrels will need some cleaning and airing out as they are used. I've heard that some folks add a spigot on the side.

I got 2 from him and am quite happy.

That being said nothing wrong with spiltting a batch either.

Back