10 Gal Rubbermaid cooler $40 @ Home Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodd

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a heads up. I saw 10 gallon Rubbermaid water coolers at Home Depot for $40. The 5 gallon were $22.

5785664063_e32e23515d.jpg

I've heard cons about the leaky nozzles, but if you're going to stick a valve in it, you should be golden.

I might be going in that direction considering I might be moving up to the 10 gal batch class and mashing in the oven will soon become obsolete.

We are currently using a Gatorade branded one with a Bargain Fittings bulkhead and it has worked out very well for us, but I hadn't seen them at that price point before. Sorry if this is old news. :mug:

Oooooooo now that's a thought.. guess I'll be taking a trip there tomorrow.
@judd, I notice you're in Tucker. if you feel like heading north on 75 this weekend, from Ringgold south to Marietta on hwy 41 is the 90 mile long yard sale.. I'll be out in search of possible brew house finds

Mysticmead I appreciate the offer, but I am about at max in my brewery. The extra 16 cuft chest freezer kind of set the mood in the house. I think the quote was "We have two F@#$ing freezers and none of them are for food!" Trying to pratice safe brewing and not piss off SWMBO. Best of luck on brewery finds. Let me know what you come home with!

Always shark the local Goodwill, cheap pint glasses!!!

Yeah, I got one of these three years ago for that price, put the Bargain Fittings conversion kit on it (was not going to play scavenger hunt for parts, after reading a number of threads on the subject), and have been happy ever since.

NB: This cooler has no insulation in the lid, and will hold heat a bit better if the lid is injected with that "Great Stuff" insulation in a spray can, or the equivalent.

Picked one of these up about a two months ago and used the fitting from my 5 gal tun to switch over. Its been working great. Nice tip on the spray insulation!

Just a heads-up that the HD-branded Rubbermaid has thinner walls and a smaller diameter than a real Rubbermaid cooler. I believe there is also less insulation in the top.

Just a heads-up that the HD-branded Rubbermaid has thinner walls and a smaller diameter than a real Rubbermaid cooler. I believe there is also less insulation in the top.

If you only "believe" there is less insulation at the top, are you also just "believing" that the rest of what you said is true? Both are model 1610...both have the same dimensions. I can't confirm or deny the thinner walls comment.

Even if it is different, I've left a 152° mash in there for 4 hours and it was 149° when I checked it after returning. So I'm not losing any sleep over my "fake" HD rubbermaid.

Just built mine two weeks ago and used it for the first time last Friday. It held a 14lb, 154* mash for over 60min with ZERO drop in temp. No complaints there.

My efficiency, on the other hand, with it pretty much blows but I think I just need to learn how brew AG properly!

---Chris

image-629246447.jpg

I noticed a drop in efficiency after moving from a 5 gal to 10 gal. I'm guessing because I'm using a bazooka screen with such a large surface area at the bottom. I think I need to pick up a false bottom for the 10 gallon.

I have the 5 and 10 gallon versions of these and they work great. I hardly lose one degree over the course of an hour

I have one. It holds temp well. It drops one degree per hour if closed up. Not too shabby. I am very happy with it. Freed up a ton of time to do other tasks around the house during the mash.

I also switched from a five gallon to this one and my efficiency has dropped. I also don't seem to hit my mash temp with the same strike. I am going to go 5-6 deg higher next time when I strike to compensate. I am using the same braid and fitting I had on my previous one, any ideas on why the loss of efficiency? Same process different mash tun. Btw batch sparge.

I use the HD/Rubbermaid 10 gal for my MLT, with Bargain Fittings conversion kit. This is the only MLT I've ever used, but based on what I read before I got it and went AG, I did / do the following:

1. The lid on this cooler has no insulation. I drilled some holes in the lower outside edge, and injected that "Great Stuff" spray insulation into the lid. This will help maintain temps.

2. Preheat the MLT. I put about 3.5 gal of 170F water in the MLT early in the day. This is also the water I will sparge with later (I also do a single batch sparge). Preheat water sits in MLT until I make a run to town, about 1.5 hours. The water will be mid-140sF when I pour it out before mashing in.

3. When you mash in, stir it up A LOT. It takes more time for the heat to be distributed in the mash and equalize than you might expect. I do a rather thin mash, which helps this process.

4. When I've stirred and arrive at my mash temperature, I put on the lid and cover the MLT with a furniture pad.

5. I cut a slit in a foam block, and push the block over the MLT spigot. This also helps conserve heat.

6. I will lose 2-3 degrees F in an hour's mash. This is, as the Germans say, "gut genug." The generally accepted time for most conversion to take place is the first 20-25 minutes anyhow, so maintaining an absolutely stable temperature isn't that important.

Mysticmead I appreciate the offer, but I am about at max in my brewery. The extra 16 cuft chest freezer kind of set the mood in the house. I think the quote was "We have two F@#$ing freezers and none of them are for food!" QUOTE]

I had exactly the SAME reaction when a friend and I arrived with the 17 c ft chest freezer to be put in the basement -- "BEER ?? Why would you want to freeze beer ??" ...so far, it remains food-free

Back