10 gal issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikN

Reaction score
On Sunday the 24th I brewed my first 10 gallon batch. It was an extract IPA. Everything went well during the brew and since I was splitting the batch with a brewing buddy I pitched two different yeasts for kicks.

Last night I racked each five gallon primary into a secondary and there is a distinct difference in the appearance. I expected the taste to be different because of the yeast but I didn't expect the difference in color and clarity.

The cooled wort was put into the both primaries at the same time with a tee coming off the valve on the kettle.

The beer on the left used Wyeast 1187 Ringwood ale and the one on right uset White Labs WL008 East Coast Ale. I don't typically take hygrometer readings but I did and the Wyeast was at 1.012 and the White Labs at 1.016. We tasted both beers and the one on the left doesn't taste bad just looks way different.

Should I leave it in the secondary until it clears? What if it doesn't clear?

Anyone else have this happen?

Erik

IMG_1037.JPG

I have no advice to offer except to wait it out (whatcha gonna do other than that, dump it? no way!)

But I do have to say that is pretty funky that they'd have such different appearances, could the one the left have the yeast mostly settled out and the one on the right they are still in suspension?

Different yeasts have different flocculation rates. Your beer seems to highlite that.
I would expect the end result to be very similar in color.
Craig

Definitely secondary until they clear. Are you dry hopping those? If so, you may want to transfer to a tertiary fermenter to finish the clearing.

I use two different yeasts with every batch I do, just to see the differences and find the optimal yeast for the beer, should a repeat occur. I haven't seen a difference like that, but it is not altogether surprising either. Wait it out! RDWHAHB

Latest posts

Back