10 gal cooler blues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I warped my 10 gal cooler today after converting it. I tested it with some 200 degree water to see how it would hold temps. It did fine but there is a line going up the side of the cooler where the interior has pulled away. Hopefully it doesn't affect the function; tomorrow is my first time using it.
I also measured everythin today and found that my hopstopper leaves over a gallon of liquid in the kettle once the suction stops:(. That seems like a lot to me.

Dan

Did you have a hose attached to the drain? If not, the siphon will stop where the outlet is.

I can't comment on the cooler. I use a SS MLT. ;)

Lil' Sparky said:
Did you have a hose attached to the drain? If not, the siphon will stop where the outlet is.

I can't comment on the cooler. I use a SS MLT. ;)

Oh...nope, there's the problem right there. Didn't even think of how a siphon works:D

I'm sure the cooler will be fine. It's purely cosmetic as far as I can tell.

Dan, is it an Igloo cooler? If so, I think a few people have reported that problem, but said it doesn't worsen and it doesn't affect anything.

FlyGuy said:
Dan, is it an Igloo cooler? If so, I think a few people have reported that problem, but said it doesn't worsen and it doesn't affect anything.
Yeah it's a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler from home depot. As far as I can tell it is just a bump...no real issues. It held heat fine and didn't leak at all. I'm so psyched to not have to worry about doing more than one batch sparge and not having to worry about doing big beers...that is once I get the regular stuff down:D

Dan

200 Degrees!! Why did you go that hot? You mash at 150- ish and mash-out at 168- 170.

Even so,you're prolly fine anyway. Those coolers are tougher than you might think.

Bernie Brewer said:
200 Degrees!! Why did you go that hot? You mash at 150- ish and mash-out at 168- 170.

Even so,you're prolly fine anyway. Those coolers are tougher than you might think.
Cause I'm an idiot:D

Dan

let us know how it turns out. Hope all goes well.

Btw, I'm posting this from my iPhone!

What did you find out? I have to boil water in my house and then walk the pot down to the basement where I keep everything. The water isn't much cooler than boiling temp by then though.

I love the sound of a creaking rubbermaid in the morning.

Sounds like....beer.

By the way, I'm posting this from my 8 year old HP in my workshop. 14" monitor and all. :D

Latest posts

Back