1 yeast pack - 2 brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumer0

Reaction score
I have enough supplies for 2x 10gal batches of a brew. If the first comes out good, I have little doubt I'll brew a second.

I only have 1 yeast pack (wlp530). What's the appropriate way to do 2 batches, separated by 5 weeks? Do I take the factory pack, only use half (sealing the package w probably a vacuum sealer - no vaccum), or just grab some fresh yeast from the first brew and save it in a sanitized jar.

I'd obviously make sure the pitch rate is good on both batches.

Thanks

Interesting question. Normally I'd take the one pack and do a big starter (like 4-5 liters) and split the result three ways - two for the immediate brews and one to store.

But if you don't do starters the best course would be to use the full pack on the first batch and harvest the yeast to use for the second...

Cheers!

That's an approach I forgot about. What's your preferred way to store it? Mason jar in the fridge?

Yup. That's how I store my over-built starter stash. I use the 16oz standard mouth jars, fwiw.
As long as you keep everything sanitary there shouldn't be any issues wrt harvesting and storing yeast from one batch for the next...

Cheers

Thank you!!

I'll follow your method of making a big starter and pitching 2/3 (maybe 3/4) and saving the rest.

Take care!

Back