1 Quart Extra When Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chachi

Reaction score
Is there something out there for the kegging types that would give me the ability to carbonate a quart to a gallon without having to do sugar/extract priming in a bottle. I don't even own a bottling setup anymore and it would be great to have a one gallon corny or something.

I have two growlers with flip top lids. After sanitizing and filling with beer, I add about 4 seconds of honey for a 1/2 gallon straight out of the little bear. Its worked perfectly everytime so far for me.

I know you said no priming, but this is about as simple as you can get

thanks for the ideas everyone. I like that last little guy, but $17 for that...capitalism, you gotta love it.

Go to Pep Boys or whatever your local automotive parts superstore and buy yourself a metal tire fill valve (schrader). Drill a hole in a 2 liter soda bottle cap and attach the tire filling valve to your CO2. Apply 30 psi and refrigerate.

+1 on the Carbonator. I looked into using schrader valves, but by the time you make an adapter for your CO2, there isn't much of a savings. I suppose if you wanted several of them, the schrader approach starts making sense.

+1 on the Carbonator. I looked into using schrader valves, but by the time you make an adapter for your CO2, there isn't much of a savings. I suppose if you wanted several of them, the schrader approach starts making sense.

I got a new valve stem for my road bike the other day from the bike shop for $2.50. It's stainless with a flat head and ruber o-ring to seal on the inside of the rim. That would work for what you are wanting. As Bobby said, drill a hole and insert the valve.

Go to Pep Boys or whatever your local automotive parts superstore and buy yourself a metal tire fill valve (schrader). Drill a hole in a 2 liter soda bottle cap and attach the tire filling valve to your CO2. Apply 30 psi and refrigerate.

An example with pictures here.

The carbonator cap is like $15 and does one bottle. The disadvantage is that you'd never want to leave it at friend's house. If I lose mine, that's a whole $2.50 lost.
The other problem is that I have pinlock kegs that don't have an alternative.

I've got a QD on my CO2 so I can quickly switch to my air chuck which was only $3.

I usually bring a variety of beers to BBQs for tastings so having 4 caps for $10 just makes sense for me.

schrader.jpg

Carb tabs work pretty well for this too - I use a flip top growler, fill it with 2 liters or so, and add 12-15 of the little tabs.

Yeah, I've measured out some sugar to fill 22oz bombers but it's nice to be carbed and ready in 2 days just to get that first cold sample of the batch right away. Of course it's still green, but I would have pulled a sample out of the keg in a few days anyway. Bottling a few will help you keep a few for long term aging though.

Latest posts

Back